Mating questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFanatic4

5 Year Member
I have two Greek Tortoises (Testudo graeca graeca) that both appear to be males. One is about 6 years old and the other is about 4 years old. Both attempt to mount each other (don't know how to put that lightly) from behind several times a day. The most annoying part of this is when they bump each other shells during the mating process. I don't know if this is normal and if there is anything I should/could do to stop this. I think it is because they are both in their adolescent phase. They are in a huge tortoise table enclosure. The only thing I can think of is to divide the enclose in half to separate them. Can anyone provide any advise? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The mating ritual can sometimes be pretty brutal. And when a dominant tortoise of the same sex is asserting his/herself the same ritual happens. If it bothers you, or if they are causing damage to each other, try placing a few visual barriers in the habitat. Also, feed them in two different spots. If that doesn't work, then you may have to separate them.

Yvonne

DisneyFanatic4

5 Year Member
What kind of visual barriers could I introduce into their enclosure? BTW, thanks for the advise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A big rock...a plastic plant with a weighted bottom...just anything so that the two tortoises can get out of each other's view. So that when they wake up in the morning and look out upon their world they can't see the whole world. It makes it more interesting for them and gives them more exercise having to walk around stuff in order to see what's going on in the other area of their habitat.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.