Mating

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Alright everybody,

Right, I've been seeing posts on here of peoples torts mating and laying eggs!! I have a female and 2 males greeks and I'm starting to wonder -

Will/could it happen to my female??
When would it happen??
How will I tell??
And what are the chances of them mating??

She's roughly 2yrs old and one of my males is about 1 1/2 yrs and the other is around about 1ish!!

Oh, and what do I do if it happened?? Lol if I woke up one morning and founds eggs or even more, found that instead of 3 torts roaming the enclosure I found 33 lol

THIS WOULD BE SOOOOOOOOOO COOL (but I think I may end up divorced) lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
If they are really 2 they are way to young, plus mating starts when they reach a certain size, not age. males usually need to be above 4 inches and females need to be at least 6.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If the ages on those tortoises are correct then you wont have successful breeding for at least a few years. And since you only have one female there wouldnt be too many babies. But im sure you will add a few more torts by the time they reach breeding size. :D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Awwwww :( lol never mind, looks like I'm staying married for a few more years yet then lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yoda3106 said:
Awwwww :( lol never mind, looks like I'm staying married for a few more years yet then lol

You better make sure your better half can't get on here and see what is being posted. You might be divorced sooner then you think and the torts might be just what they decide to take:p:D LOL

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's rarely as easy as just having a mature male and female and putting them together. There is a certain amount of "conditioning" (either naturally in the right climate or artificially in less than optimum climates) that goes into two tortoises sucessfully breeding and producing offspring. Some people get lucky from time to time and their tortoises produce a fertile clutch of eggs. This shouldn't necessarily be considered as breeding sucess but chance breeding. Breeding sucess is when the same happens continuously each year.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
It's rarely as easy as just having a mature male and female and putting them together. There is a certain amount of "conditioning" (either naturally in the right climate or artificially in less than optimum climates) that goes into two tortoises sucessfully breeding and producing offspring. Some people get lucky from time to time and their tortoises produce a fertile clutch of eggs. This shouldn't necessarily be considered as breeding sucess but chance breeding. Breeding sucess is when the same happens continuously each year.

I'm not trying to breed them, if anything I hope they don't but if they do I'll still be over the moon, just wanted to know how easyily this little bugers get abit excited lol obviously not very haha and I doubt I'll be finding any soon!!

wellington said:
You better make sure your better half can't get on here and see what is being posted. You might be divorced sooner then you think and the torts might be just what they decide to take:p:D LOL

She won't take them, trust me haaha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yoda3106 said:

She might not take them because she wants them, she might take them to spite you. :)

Even more than breeding, I would be worried about what those two males are gonna do when they start hitting those "teen" years and feeling "randy"... Just to be safe, I'd start planning a couple more spare enclosures... You'll most likely have to separate the males when they start nearing maturity, and then you will likely have to separate the female from the remaining male, since he will harass her to no end. What a fine mess! Are you really sure of the sexes at such a young age?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
yoda3106 said:

She might not take them because she wants them, she might take them to spite you. :)

Which if you make remarks like those around her and if she has no sense of humor (of course she married you, so she must have one :p :D ), she may just do the spiteful bit.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Tom said:

Even more than breeding, I would be worried about what those two males are gonna do when they start hitting those "teen" years and feeling "randy"... Just to be safe, I'd start planning a couple more spare enclosures... You'll most likely have to separate the males when they start nearing maturity, and then you will likely have to separate the female from the remaining male, since he will harass her to no end. What a fine mess! Are you really sure of the sexes at such a young age?

I'm quite positive of the sexes but now you've got me worrying lol when do they start hitting maturity?? :s what if I have a big enclosure?? And what happens if they can't be separated lol death?! :/

Jacqui said:
Which if you make remarks like those around her and if she has no sense of humor (of course she married you, so she must have one :p :D ), she may just do the spiteful bit.

Haha cheers :) I'm not that bad to be married to lol

Status
Not open for further replies.