Mauremys japonica

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Anyone have any experience with these guys? Maybe Anthony or Ben? I've always been intrigued by them and am going to acquire a couple juvies. From everything I gather their care would be similar to reevesii, but less aquatic. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey Mike...where ya been? Good to see you back posting.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Never kept them but I suspect you're correct with you husbandry thoughts.

Please post some photos when you get them. They are a taxa I've considered getting for some time thought I don't know if I'll be able to.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Great to hear, Mike. I have never kept them either. But I am in love with the black skin on many of the Asian Turtles. M. japonica are the perfect model of that nice dark skin.

I too, think your brief account of their husbandry is right on. I have done some limited writing about some of those rare Mauremys, like japonica and mutica, and there is just nothing out their as far as resources on them. It's amazing. I have thought of keeping both species, just so I could try to create some literature regarding captive observations, since there isn't much of that anywhere at this point.

Good luck. I know Jason Petersen keeps and breeds them. Do you have his contact info?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Ordered 2 juveniles yesterday. I am beyond excited! These guys are really hard to come by. Now I just have to wait, patiently, for the next 3 weeks or so for this frigid NE Ohio weather to break. Stay tuned.....

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Thanks Turtletary! Those pics are the exact justification as to why I've loved this species for the past 20+ years. That golden carapace, the dark plastron underbelly, and the streamlined head and neck. My guys just landed in Cleveland @ 4:23 this morning. Hand off to Akron and they're home!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I couldn't be more happy with these guys. They look to be about 8 weeks old. At this age you can already see their curiousity with their surroundings. They also seem to be very personable as well, but as hatchlings they've been spending most of their time undercover. They were eating 15 minutes after being introduced to their enclosure. 312151.JPG 312152.JPG

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I couldn't be more happy with these guys. They look to be about 8 weeks old. At this age you can already see their curiousity with their surroundings. They also seem to be very personable as well, but as hatchlings they've been spending most of their time undercover. They were eating 15 minutes after being introduced to their enclosure. View attachment 123184 View attachment 123185

Beautiful......