Mauremys reevesii (Reeve's turtle)

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I have a Reeves turtle. I purchased Regelus in October of 2013. He (I believe it's a male, will add photo below of cloaca) was 13 grams when I got him. He now weighs 192 grams. He gets Mazuri aquatic turtle food daily. He loves Ramshorn and Malaysian Trumpet snails which he discovers throughout his tank. I have a few zebra snails and red onion snails. I buy three small apple snails for him every two weeks. He gets Repashy Turtle Stew twice a week. He gets a whole prawn (or sometimes instead I will give a little tuna, cat food, chicken or turkey) every week to two weeks. He always has a piece of cuttlebone in his tank which he eats whenever he feels like. He also always has fish in his tank (guppies, leopard and zebra danios).

I am wondering how to incorporate greens into his diet. He's really interested in his live aquatic plants (anubias, cabomba, cryptocorne, and red ludwigia) and whenever I offer any greens, he will grab them and then spit them out. It seems he wants to maybe do it on his own time? Does anybody have any advice on feeding greens? Do I just keep offering until he eats it? Thank you for any advice.

2015-04-11_21.48.10.jpg
2015-04-16_20.34.04.jpg

Last edited:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have a Reeves turtle. I purchased Regelus in October of 2013. He (I believe it's a male, will add photo below of cloaca) was 13 grams when I got him. He now weighs 192 grams. He gets Mazuri aquatic turtle food daily. He loves Ramshorn and Malaysian Trumpet snails which he discovers throughout his tank. I have a few zebra snails and red onion snails. I buy three small apple snails for him every two weeks. He gets Repashy Turtle Stew twice a week. He gets a whole prawn (or sometimes instead I will give a little tuna, cat food, chicken or turkey) every week to two weeks. He always has a piece of cuttlebone in his tank which he eats whenever he feels like. He also always has fish in his tank (guppies, leopard and zebra danios).

I am wondering how to incorporate greens into his diet. He's really interested in his live aquatic plants (anubias, cabomba, cryptocorne, and red ludwigia) and whenever I offer any greens, he will grab them and then spit them out. It seems he wants to maybe do it on his own time? Does anybody have any advice on feeding greens? Do I just keep offering until he eats it? Thank you for any advice.

View attachment 126215
View attachment 126222

Perhaps offer up a veggie type pellet? Also, that is an absolutely lovely turtle...beautiful :)

Randi

Canada
Thank you very much :):<3:

Hm, good idea! Would algae wafers be suitable? I've got a massive bag of Hikari. I normally use zucchini to feed my algae eaters so this bag has been sitting untouched.

1429283421909.jpg

Randi

Canada
Thank you for your reply. I will start throwing some of the Hikari in there weekly. Once it runs out, I'll have to pick up the Omega One.

Could I maybe use a small amount for my Red Footed tortoise? I'd soak it and mix it up with her food. Just curious about that.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you for your reply. I will start throwing some of the Hikari in there weekly. Once it runs out, I'll have to pick up the Omega One.

Could I maybe use a small amount for my Red Footed tortoise? I'd soak it and mix it up with her food. Just curious about that.

I add a little to the Mazuri mash up I give my redfoot.

Randi

Canada
I don't want to create a new thread so I'll ask here.. am I able to file the ends of his nails down slightly? I've never had to before but as he's growing, so are his nails. They've become quite sharp. After handling, I'm covered in little cuts from his nails. I'd only file them to make the ends dull, not to make the nails shorter. Thanks for any advice.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I don't want to create a new thread so I'll ask here.. am I able to file the ends of his nails down slightly? I've never had to before but as he's growing, so are his nails. They've become quite sharp. After handling, I'm covered in little cuts from his nails. I'd only file them to make the ends dull, not to make the nails shorter. Thanks for any advice.

I use clippers made for kids.
On the turtle, I mean

Randi

Canada
Should I just clip off the tip? It'd probably be less stressful and less time consuming with nail clippers instead of a file. Thank you.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Should I just clip off the tip? It'd probably be less stressful and less time consuming with nail clippers instead of a file. Thank you.

That's what I do. Mine is pretty mellow, but he'd never be patient enough for filing. I usually just do one or two at a time and first thing in the morning or late at night.

Randi

Canada
Thank you!! You've given me great advice. One or two at a time sounds nice, that won't stress him much. :) Thanks again!