Maximum safe surface temperature for Kane heat mats?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
@Ray--Opo I got Vlad's Kane mat when he was around 5 lbs I think. I don't see why you'd have any issues as long as the you've got it controlled by a thermostat. Also - do you have an infrared temp gun to do spot temperature checks? That way you can keep an eye on the surface temp of the mat and make sure everything is safe.

I went with the 18" x 27" (sometimes listed as 18x28) model which is still plenty of room for Vladimir at 23 lbs. I'd recommend to go with that size if you have the space, as Opo will have plenty of room to grow into it. But even the little 18" x 18" would be good for Opo if you don't have room for a bigger one.

We got ours from Tyler at Tortoise Supply: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
:)
@Ray--Opo I got Vlad's Kane mat when he was around 5 lbs I think. I don't see why you'd have any issues as long as the you've got it controlled by a thermostat. Also - do you have an infrared temp gun to do spot temperature checks? That way you can keep an eye on the surface temp of the mat and make sure everything is safe.

I went with the 18" x 27" (sometimes listed as 18x28) model which is still plenty of room for Vladimir at 23 lbs. I'd recommend to go with that size if you have the space, as Opo will have plenty of room to grow into it. But even the little 18" x 18" would be good for Opo if you don't have room for a bigger one.

We got ours from Tyler at Tortoise Supply: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane
Ok thanks, got down to 58 last night so I had to bring Opo in. Good thing Opo's enclosure is on wheels and we have french doors it is easy to bring in and out. Shouldn't say I brought Opo in. It was my wife who did:<3:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
:)
Ok thanks, got down to 58 last night so I had to bring Opo in. Good thing Opo's enclosure is on wheels and we have french doors it is easy to bring in and out. Shouldn't say I brought Opo in. It was my wife who did:<3:

Hey Ray/Opo - was wondering if you have any type of heat source in Opo’s enclosure? A RHP attached to the roof provides a nice source of radiant warming heat. Wow! 58 in Florida..... we are LOOKING to move down there soon....we continue to search for a good house, grounds, location...etc!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey Ray/Opo - was wondering if you have any type of heat source in Opo’s enclosure? A RHP attached to the roof provides a nice source of radiant warming heat. Wow! 58 in Florida..... we are LOOKING to move down there soon....we continue to search for a good house, grounds, location...etc!
I have a 100 w che. I was reading a thread and they were talking about warmth for the bottom of the torts. So I noticed Opo's bottom side was cooler so I thought I would warm Opo up but thought Opo's size might be to small. I didn't want to cook Opo.
Look in the Palm Bay area. Prices are still reasonable and area is starting to pick up. We are 20 min from the beach

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have a 100 w che. I was reading a thread and they were talking about warmth for the bottom of the torts. So I noticed Opo's bottom side was cooler so I thought I would warm Opo up but thought Opo's size might be to small. I didn't want to cook Opo.
Look in the Palm Bay area. Prices are still reasonable and area is starting to pick up. We are 20 min from the beach

Thanks - been looking a bit north of there ivo Palm Coast. On warmth, ive been very happy with the 80 w RHP in our Sullys enclosure. A nice bed of mulch below and a very warm Sully. Id definitel recommend going with the mat or the RHP and move away from the CHE. Good luck!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks - been looking a bit north of there ivo Palm Coast. On warmth, ive been very happy with the 80 w RHP in our Sullys enclosure. A nice bed of mulch below and a very warm Sully. Id definitel recommend going with the mat or the RHP and move away from the CHE. Good luck!
Thank you I will look into that. Be careful on how far north you go. We are an hr south of Orlando and winter temps are about 10 degrees different during the day and can get much cooler at night. This is our first little cold front. Next week it will warm up