Maybe an odd question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Knobs of KY
Ok, so this may be an odd question, but here goes...

When a sully gets to its average large size, will it have difficulty being able to fit through standard doorways of a house?

Very curious :) Thanks! :tort: :tort:

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
Baoh said:

:D
Excellent!!
We are preparing plans for building a house on our property and I wanted to make sure that I could still use standard size doors for our future family member to get in and out :) Thanks a bunch!

also! does anyone know how they do with stairs? (like 3 or four steps?) I am not sure how well they can handle terrain like steps :/ I may just end up building a ramp for the existing stairs-just to be safe :)

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
MoireErin said:
also! does anyone know how they do with stairs? (like 3 or four steps?) I am not sure how well they can handle terrain like steps :/ I may just end up building a ramp for the existing stairs-just to be safe :)

To put it simply: not well.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it wouldn't be easy for your average Sulcata of any size.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
ra94131 said:
MoireErin said:

To put it simply: not well.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it wouldn't be easy for your average Sulcata of any size.

Thanks for letting me know :) I kind of figured stairs would be difficult (physics and all with their body shape :) ) Ramp building it is! :)

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Hey!

This is coming from someone who also has their Sully roaming free in the house:
- They can get through doors, but you should have an outdoor space set up for them for when they get too big (might take 30-50 years). Having an outdoor space is very important.
- The Sulcatas aren't good at navigating corners, so all of your walls, door frames, and furniture will be wrecked from their shell height down.
- Only have hardwood floors or tile in the areas where your sully might roam. They cannot be potty trained, as far as I am aware, and will simply ruin your carpets.

Have fun! Having a sully wandering around the house is so legit.

When we build a house we plan on having a kitchen with huge sliding doors out to the backyard so the sully can just wander in and our as he pleases. Have fun! Post pics when it's all finished!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
MoireErin said:
Baoh said:

:D
Excellent!!
We are preparing plans for building a house on our property and I wanted to make sure that I could still use standard size doors for our future family member to get in and out :) Thanks a bunch!

They will most likely climb stairs poorly if at all unless the rise is not high for each subsequent step.

__l
_l

No.

____________l
______l

Maybe.

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
Wewt said:
Hey!

- They can get through doors, but you should have an outdoor space set up for them for when they get too big (might take 30-50 years). Having an outdoor space is very important.
- The Sulcatas aren't good at navigating corners, so all of your walls, door frames, and furniture will be wrecked from their shell height down.
- Only have hardwood floors or tile in the areas where your sully might roam. They cannot be potty trained, as far as I am aware, and will simply ruin your carpets.

When we build a house we plan on having a kitchen with huge sliding doors out to the backyard so the sully can just wander in and our as he pleases. Have fun! Post pics when it's all finished!

Awesome! Thank you for the input :) We already have hardwood floors (I can't stand carpet-too filthy :( ) And we def plan on having hardwood floors in the new house :) As for the impending damage on the door frames and walls-that is just a small price to pay for having such a wonderful creature :D

Oh! We have over 5 acres of property, so my future sully will definitely have plenty of room to graze and 'play' outside :) S/he will also be able to come into my studio (I am an artist). No worries, I will make sure it is tort friendly too :)

I am so excited! Less than 2 months to go before I get to finally add our long-awaited family member :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I cant imagine a large one in the house... with or without carpet...
and yes.. check Bob.. they can climb...

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
MoireErin said:
Wewt said:
Hey!

Awesome! Thank you for the input :) We already have hardwood floors (I can't stand carpet-too filthy :( ) And we def plan on having hardwood floors in the new house :) As for the impending damage on the door frames and walls-that is just a small price to pay for having such a wonderful creature :D

Oh! We have over 5 acres of property, so my future sully will definitely have plenty of room to graze and 'play' outside :) S/he will also be able to come into my studio (I am an artist). No worries, I will make sure it is tort friendly too :)

I am so excited! Less than 2 months to go before I get to finally add our long-awaited family member :)

Wow, that sounds so awesome! Congrats on the new family member and the new house! Living with a tort is the best- definitely worth the scratches and dents in your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.