Maybe impatient. No growth??

Leo1986

5 Year Member
So I have recently (one week ago) built a chamber enclosure for my Leo's thanks to the fine folks on here and to the specifics in toms post:). The kids are acting better but I've been measuring their weight and looking back at pictures and there has been no growth in fact since I weighed them last week they've lost a tad. They get soaked daily and eat plenty I think.
I have had two of them for a few months ...they were a little older when I got them and I was keeping them in a low sweater box which they obviously didn't do well with. I have seen minimal if any growth :/
About 2 weeks ago I did fecals and they had pin worms so we dewormed.

They act like everything is fine but I'm not seeing growth and I'm feeling impatient. Because young'ns should be getting big!

Any thoughts? Maybe I'm choosing the wrong foods?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The worms would have set them back a bit from gaining. Also, if you did not put them in a clean enclosure during treatment, they could have reinvested themselves. I would have another fecal done. This time, if they still have worms, keep them apart in separate enclosures and use only paper towel for the substrate and clean it daily. Then when treatment is done, have another fecal to be sure they are all gone before you out them back together. At this time, have the regular enclosure cleaned, new substrate and be sure to sterilize it and the dishes, and decorations.

Leo1986

5 Year Member
Well maybe I didn't treat them long enough. I read to dose them with panacur then repeat two weeks later. Have you seen a different regimen? I have some herp vet buddies but I'm kinda curious to know what people on here have done?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Aha, this was the thread. I would try grated pumpkin, it's in season, so yay! It's, in my opinion (some will argue that) a natural dewormer. Pumpkin seeds, called pepitas also, raw and unsalted, ground down will scrub those little worms outta there. I feel, again my personal opinion, that natural remedies first whenever possible. These little babies are trying to grow and if you have all these interrupters, chemical and hard core toxic things, then the growth cycle is well, interrupted. Because now baby has to deal with that internally. What are you feeding them? Share that with us so we can give some thoughts and/or suggestions. One thing about owning tortoises, makes you more chill. : )

Leo1986

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Aha, this was the thread. I would try grated pumpkin, it's in season, so yay! It's, in my opinion (some will argue that) a natural dewormer. Pumpkin seeds, called pepitas also, raw and unsalted, ground down will scrub those little worms outta there. I feel, again my personal opinion, that natural remedies first whenever possible. These little babies are trying to grow and if you have all these interrupters, chemical and hard core toxic things, then the growth cycle is well, interrupted. Because now baby has to deal with that internally. What are you feeding them? Share that with us so we can give some thoughts and/or suggestions. One thing about owning tortoises, makes you more chill. : )

I at first did spring mix mazuri and those colored pellets. Then I tried kale endive escarole. I have thrown in some hibiscus, dandelion, hay and fresh grass along the way and all they consistently eat is endive and some mazuri.

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Tortoise Supply has seed mixes. I bout the 7 African grass seed to grow and my baby loves it. I moisten his mazuri after cutting it in half, then I cut the grass(about 1" in length) and pile it on top of the mazuri and he just gobbles it down.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Seed mixes are fabulous. Grow your own is the best. Wheatgrass, too. You can get wheat berries by the pound at larger health food stores. White wheat and red wheat berries. Right now they are at about 99 cents a pound. Lots of greens there, for grazing. Plant them in little flats or small terra cotta pots and then rotate them in and out. As they eat down, new one and let the first one regrow. You can do this for a few weeks before having to plant anew.

A great way to be sneaky about it and trick them into discovering new foods is to chop and blend, blend, blend. I love those herb scissors that chefs use. They have 3 to 5 blades. You cut everything up. Those scissors make everything small. I also have one of those as seen on tv slap choppy things. Easy peasy. Try to include a good variety of things daily. A rainbow a day, at least, 5 colors or 5 different greens. Or more, better ... but 5 works as a base. Then you cut everything with the scissors and blend. Makes it harder for tortoise to be picky. Teeheehee. Soooooo sneaky on the picky.

But, tortoises take time, emphasis, take time to acclimate, adjust to new things. They like routine. So when we introduce new things it does indeed take them a bit to get it. I also include Mazuri and Grassland into their rainbow twice a week. Sundays and Wednesdays. Just as supplementation. And soak for hydration. Soaks are vital, in my opinion. I learned that here when I first started trolling le TFO. Thank goodness the experts are so cool about sharing good things, like soaks.

Be patient, grasshopper. LOL! : )

Leo1986

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! I was headed to whole foods tomorrow to look for cactus anyway so I might see if I can find some stuff!!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Cool. Also investigate the raw food section (for people who do not eat anything that is cooked, not easy). Most raw foodies (which I wish I could be, LOL) are sprout happy. OMG, I found a pound of red clover seeds for 4.99 and you can sprinkle those it your enclosure to grow for grazing. My littles love red clover. Fresh. Never feed clover dried out. Always fresh. And a pound goes a long way with babies. I think you might like this link : )

http://www.pinterest.com/pietersmith/leopard-tortoise-edible-plants/

Also, if you get opuntia aka nopales aka cactus pads, be sure to get one pad to plant. Let it callous for about a week, and plant for the future. Although, hopefully at WF it is not way overpriced. Love the store but sometimes it is a bit much. : 0

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I did the pumpkin seed treatment. My sullies are over it! Make sure you clean out EVERYTHING in the enclosure. Throw away anything that can be reasonably be replaced. Sterilize anything that can't be thrown away, and separate them until you get a clean fecal reading on each one. That's the only way I know to stop these worms from re-infesting my torts.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Plain white vinegar is a good cleaner and non toxic.
Haha, sibi, that's funny. "pumpkin seed ... My sullies are over it." Seasonal eating ... next! : )

Leo1986

5 Year Member
sibi said:
I did the pumpkin seed treatment. My sullies are over it! Make sure you clean out EVERYTHING in the enclosure. Throw away anything that can be reasonably be replaced. Sterilize anything that can't be thrown away, and separate them until you get a clean fecal reading on each one. That's the only way I know to stop these worms from re-infesting my torts.

What if they won't eat the pumpkin seeds ;)

I got some collard greens, mustard greens, some dandelion greens, and red chard(I wasn't sure about this one) but only the baby will eat any of it.

The bigger two are such brats ... They will only eat romaine so I did the chop and mix ... The little turds are still picking it out.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Can you scissor cut them up even smaller? And blend, blend, blend. Now, if your tortoises like Mazuri and eat it readily, mix that in to the greens.
Oh, those little creatures of habit. Very naughty. Tough love time. Like kids. : )

Leo1986

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Seed mixes are fabulous. Grow your own is the best. Wheatgrass, too. You can get wheat berries by the pound at larger health food stores. White wheat and red wheat berries. Right now they are at about 99 cents a pound. Lots of greens there, for grazing. Plant them in little flats or small terra cotta pots and then rotate them in and out. As they eat down, new one and let the first one regrow. You can do this for a few weeks before having to plant anew.

A great way to be sneaky about it and trick them into discovering new foods is to chop and blend, blend, blend. I love those herb scissors that chefs use. They have 3 to 5 blades. You cut everything up. Those scissors make everything small. I also have one of those as seen on tv slap choppy things. Easy peasy. Try to include a good variety of things daily. A rainbow a day, at least, 5 colors or 5 different greens. Or more, better ... but 5 works as a base. Then you cut everything with the scissors and blend. Makes it harder for tortoise to be picky. Teeheehee. Soooooo sneaky on the picky.

But, tortoises take time, emphasis, take time to acclimate, adjust to new things. They like routine. So when we introduce new things it does indeed take them a bit to get it. I also include Mazuri and Grassland into their rainbow twice a week. Sundays and Wednesdays. Just as supplementation. And soak for hydration. Soaks are vital, in my opinion. I learned that here when I first started trolling le TFO. Thank goodness the experts are so cool about sharing good things, like soaks.

Be patient, grasshopper. LOL! : )

So humidity.... I have one of hair Home Depot temp/hygrometers. I don't move it around much and I have it where I feel is the middle ground on temp and humidity. It was saying 60%.... I just attacked the enclosure with aluminum foil and it's up to 80... I use coconut coir and sphagnum. I drench the sphagnum daily and will pour water around edges of enclosure every 3rd day or so.

I'm going to run another fecal Monday. Petri (the baby) poops almost everyday... It's been about 4 days since the big ones pooped which to me means they aren't eating nearly enough.

Thanks so much for everyone's help. You TFO peeps are pretty darn fantastic. :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Can you scissor cut them up even smaller? And blend, blend, blend. Now, if your tortoises like Mazuri and eat it readily, mix that in to the greens.
Oh, those little creatures of habit. Very naughty. Tough love time. Like kids. : )

I will definitely cut smaller next time. I didn't find any of those herb scissors but I can cut smaller for sure next time. I never thought I would be spending so much time feeding these guys :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Be on the look out for the herb scissors, they will make it easier on you. Restaurant supply stores, or Crate and Barrel or Williams Sonoma. Perhaps Wal-Mart. I did not think to check there. Must do.
Variety in foods is the secret to thriving tortoises, so although it seems like a lot of work, it will be a way to prevent many ills. They need variety. They will come around ... after they wear your patience! LOL. : )