Mazuri crocodile chow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
I have been feeding Mazuri tortoise food for a long time now on a 50/50 with fresh fruits and veggies with either chicken, eggs or catfood as a weekly protein and this seems to work just fine but..... I have been toying with the idea to switch over to crocodile chow as it was meant for at the very least reptiles as well Ive seen way too many obese/unhealthy cats on food designed for them.
Here are the specs,
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein not less than 45.0%
Crude fat not less than 9.5%
Crude fiber not more than 3.0%
Calcium (Ca) not less than 2.50%
Calcium (Ca) not more than 3.50%
Phosphorus (P) not less than 1.50%
Salt (NaCl) not less than 0.30%
Salt (NaCl) not more than 0.80%

Is there any reason this wont be a way better alternative than cat kibble?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about your torts except the leopard. However, why can't you just eliminate the cat food? The rest of the diet sounds pretty complete without it. Just my thought.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
That is also a possibility :)
But if i can get away from the chicken and egg I would Very much prefer it.....
My big dozers like to spread the wealth every time the food dishes are added and rotten chicken mixed 2 inches deep with cypress/peat/fir Sucks to find ha ha I would much rather a little pellet than rank chicken chunks someone is hiding for later.

Also anything mazuri is eaten asap LOL the fruit veggies and animal bits are always scattered for cleanup the next day..... the plant matter i dont mind but the animal bits are gross and i assume unhealthy after a day in the heat/humidity

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see. That does sound very disgusting. If you don't get an answer. You could send N2TORTS a pm. He may be able to answer you. Good luck.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
It would be a fine alternative. I see nothing harmful; but honestly, why not just stick with cooked chicken and turkey? Just eliminate the eggs and cat-food and your protein regime is good as it is...

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
I use it and aquatic turtle diet all the time. I have had very good results so far.

RedfootsRule said:
It would be a fine alternative. I see nothing harmful; but honestly, why not just stick with cooked chicken and turkey? Just eliminate the eggs and cat-food and your protein regime is good as it is...

It's easier than using cooked meat.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Gerards said:
I use it and aquatic turtle diet all the time. I have had very good results so far.

RedfootsRule said:

It's easier than using cooked meat.

Are your results for aquatic turtles, or tortoises? I didn't think you owned many tortoises besides your albino rf, or am I wrong? Just curious if this croc diet would be suitable for aquatic turtles...

Your right, its easier. But I always try to avoid that frame of thinking: "Its easier". I don't feel people should ever be making choices based more on the ease or difficulty of something over its nutritional value...Its a leading cause in neglect. You took on the responsibility of an animal with (hopefully) the knowledge you had to supply care. The ease or difficulty of something should be far in the back of your head....If you have 15+ tortoises, then you have a slight excuse. When you have one, the "its easier" thing is just not right.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
I don't have any albino red foots, yet. I do have about 100 tortoises, though. I think you're thinking about the Albino Box Turtle. Yes, I use it for aquatics, box turtles and tortoises. I think that if the results are the same, easier leaves you more time to make improvements in other areas. Works smart, not hard!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Gerards said:
I don't have any albino red foots, yet. I do have about 100 tortoises, though. I think you're thinking about the Albino Box Turtle. Yes, I use it for aquatics, box turtles and tortoises. I think that if the results are the same, easier leaves you more time to make improvements in other areas. Works smart, not hard!

I'm positive I saw a pic of an albino RF for you? Guess I was thinking of someone else :).
Oh I agree, if the results are the same it doesn't matter. I just don't agree with making a lesser choice in favor of the fact that its easier then a better choice.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Thanks Redfootsrule :)
Im not looking for an "easier" route per say but if the feed is very similar in outcome it will be a TON of time i spend with cleaning enclosures and also food prep that can add up to over 2 hours a day I can now free up for other things and there is always a list. There health is my first concern and I dont ever want to let that slack and I figured this would be the place to find out :)
I love this forum

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Hustler said:
Thanks Redfootsrule :)
Im not looking for an "easier" route per say but if the feed is very similar in outcome it will be a TON of time i spend with cleaning enclosures and also food prep that can add up to over 2 hours a day I can now free up for other things and there is always a list. There health is my first concern and I dont ever want to let that slack and I figured this would be the place to find out :)
I love this forum

Oh I can see your reasoning if you have the problems mentioned. Nothing worse then moldy chicken. Mine on the other hand devour it all the minute it hits the ground :)>

Status
Not open for further replies.