Mazuri for Baby Sulcata

@itsmimie94

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi! so today i decided to introduce mazuri tortoise food to my baby sulcata for the first time, I did moisten the pellet for the baby to nibble on it easily. As I was watching him, he’s only sniffing it and not eating the mazuri, but other than that he eats a lot of mimosa, hibiscus and grass. What do you think should I do for him to try the mazuri?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I have read to add just a little in with what they do eat at gradual intervals. I am trying that also as mine are not eating it either:) it’s not very concerning though because the eat natural greens and flowers from my yard like crazy!

@itsmimie94

Philippines
I have read to add just a little in with what they do eat at gradual intervals. I am trying that also as mine are not eating it either:) it’s not very concerning though because the eat natural greens and flowers from my yard like crazy!

yeah, mine too. he eats almost everything that i give him that i know is safe. just not the mazuri yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As sulcatas get older and gain size, they turn into living garbage disposals that will opportunistically eat just about anything. You guys won't have this "problem" for very long, and its great that you are trying to get them eating more variety while they are still small. The time spent now will serve you well later.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi! so today i decided to introduce mazuri tortoise food to my baby sulcata for the first time, I did moisten the pellet for the baby to nibble on it easily. As I was watching him, he’s only sniffing it and not eating the mazuri, but other than that he eats a lot of mimosa, hibiscus and grass. What do you think should I do for him to try the mazuri?

Is it the LS version or the original?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
My little ones and my 2-1/2 yr old eat the Mazuri LS.. I ordered the original formula online but they haven’t touched it so far. It’s bigger than the two sizes I have In The LS though. I even tried water softening.. the LS is available in stores locally here so why not??

Yeetster

West Virginia
My little ones and my 2-1/2 yr old eat the Mazuri LS.. I ordered the original formula online but they haven’t touched it so far. It’s bigger than the two sizes I have In The LS though. I even tried water softening.. the LS is available in stores locally here so why not??

My two baby sulcatas also only like the Mazuri LS diet they won’t even touch the regular.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I notice that Mazuri LS has two separate formulas.

Mazuri Tortoise Diet LS - Crude Protein (min 12.0%) Crude Fiber (max 22.0%)
Mazuri Small Tortoise Diet LS - Crude Protein (min 20.0%) Crude Fiber (max 15.0%)

Small Tortoise Diet LS seems to have too much protein and low fiber. It's strange they would change the formula for smaller tortoises. Would growing "grazer" tortoises require more protein their 1st year?

Last edited:

drew54

Indiana
I just introduced mazuri to my two month old hatchling. I mixed it with grass, cactus, clover, collard, mulberry leaves, turnip greens, and some weeds and he devoured it. In the two weeks I've had him I hadn't seen him eat like that I one sitting! I used the original. I put the cactus pad in the blender, soaked the pellets, mixed the two together, and then with the grass and weeds.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Is the original large sizes like big dog food? Can you post a picture of the bag and where did you get it? I ordered mine online and it was repackaged in ziplock bags... naturally, I’m skeptical but all of mine like the LS anyway.. I just like to keep a very diverse selection of supplements:)

drew54

Indiana
Is the original large sizes like big dog food? Can you post a picture of the bag and where did you get it? I ordered mine online and it was repackaged in ziplock bags... naturally, I’m skeptical but all of mine like the LS anyway.. I just like to keep a very diverse selection of supplements:)

Mine looks like this and according to mazuri website those deminsions are for the regular pellets if that helps.
IMG_0737.jpg