Mazuri for Baby Sulcata

Maddoggy

Location (City and/or State)
Vero Beach Florida
I have raised a lot of sulcatas on Mazuri Tortoise LS and have been pleased with the results. I still feed my five year old male Mazuri LS as a main feed but he also grazes on St Augustine and basket grass. I find tortoises to be like any other animal that becomes used to or accustomed to a certain feed . I have found to withhold their feed for a day or two and then introduce the new offering at 25% new to 75% old . It should not be long before you can have them completely switched over.im a big fan of Mazuri Tortoise LS for sulcatas, and if you buy it from chewy you can get buy two bags get one free plus free shipping so it makes it as affordable as feeding a dog high quality dog food

OliveW

Branford, FL
I have raised a lot of sulcatas on Mazuri Tortoise LS and have been pleased with the results. I still feed my five year old male Mazuri LS as a main feed but he also grazes on St Augustine and basket grass. I find tortoises to be like any other animal that becomes used to or accustomed to a certain feed . I have found to withhold their feed for a day or two and then introduce the new offering at 25% new to 75% old . It should not be long before you can have them completely switched over.im a big fan of Mazuri Tortoise LS for sulcatas, and if you buy it from chewy you can get buy two bags get one free plus free shipping so it makes it as affordable as feeding a dog high quality dog food

I looked at Mazuri LS awhile back, just out of curiosity and the 12 oz bags were like $15 on Amazon! I can almost guarantee that my sulcata could eat an entire bag in a day. He is a bottomless pit that never stops eating unless he's asleep.

Also, I read here that they shouldn't have protein and the LS, which says it's specifically for sullys has 20% protein. It's all very confusing so we stick to grazing a LOT and supplement with approved leaves that we gather for him on our property along with a little romaine and brussel sprouts, which are his favorite.

I don't think I can afford $15 a day in tortoise food. LOL So I forage and let him do the same.

ryan57

PA
I looked at Mazuri LS awhile back, just out of curiosity and the 12 oz bags were like $15 on Amazon! I can almost guarantee that my sulcata could eat an entire bag in a day. He is a bottomless pit that never stops eating unless he's asleep.

Also, I read here that they shouldn't have protein and the LS, which says it's specifically for sullys has 20% protein. It's all very confusing so we stick to grazing a LOT and supplement with approved leaves that we gather for him on our property along with a little romaine and brussel sprouts, which are his favorite.

I don't think I can afford $15 a day in tortoise food. LOL So I forage and let him do the same.
I contacted Mazuri about this protein issue early on in April of this year and they responded explaining that the LS small tortoise has 20% plant protein for proper growth and is to be fed to Sulcata for the first year @ 3-4% body weight daily. I estimate that I'll be at year one with 5 bags total so $75 of Mazuri and then lots of grazing fresh grass, weeds and some grocery store greens/veggies for variety.

I put out about 3% body weight moistened daily and often there are uneaten dry pellets at the end of the day but ALL the greens and other stuff is picked through and usually gone. The day old dried pellets become the 'croutons' the following day with the new moistened Mazuri.

After year 1 the LS larger pellets with 12% protein @ 1-3% body weight daily. I put cuttlebone in and he ate some initially for the first couple months but after the Mazuri routine it is pretty much ignored. No calcium on the food as the Mazuri is ALL nutrition needed and I just add sunshine and exercise.

Stump is now 502g today, 1 week or so from about 7 months old, so it seems to be working out.

Year 2 will be Mazuri 2 times a week or so. Between months 5 and 7 the taste and appetite for all things in the yard has increased substantially. Where Stump would only seek nettle and clover the first few months -w- the occasional dandelion and wild strawberry, now it's game on with everything - All weeds, grass, hibiscus, cactus, etc.

OliveW

Branford, FL
I contacted Mazuri about this protein issue early on in April of this year and they responded explaining that the LS small tortoise has 20% plant protein for proper growth and is to be fed to Sulcata for the first year @ 3-4% body weight daily. I estimate that I'll be at year one with 5 bags total so $75 of Mazuri and then lots of grazing fresh grass, weeds and some grocery store greens/veggies for variety.

I put out about 3% body weight moistened daily and often there are uneaten dry pellets at the end of the day but ALL the greens and other stuff is picked through and usually gone. The day old dried pellets become the 'croutons' the following day with the new moistened Mazuri.

After year 1 the LS larger pellets with 12% protein @ 1-3% body weight daily. I put cuttlebone in and he ate some initially for the first couple months but after the Mazuri routine it is pretty much ignored. No calcium on the food as the Mazuri is ALL nutrition needed and I just add sunshine and exercise.

Stump is now 502g today, 1 week or so from about 7 months old, so it seems to be working out.

Year 2 will be Mazuri 2 times a week or so. Between months 5 and 7 the taste and appetite for all things in the yard has increased substantially. Where Stump would only seek nettle and clover the first few months -w- the occasional dandelion and wild strawberry, now it's game on with everything - All weeds, grass, hibiscus, cactus, etc.

I totally could have predicted that you would be the person to contact the company about the protein. 🥰 Stump has an excellent daddy!

I never realized there were two kinds of LS. My tortie baby is too old for it anyway. I only looked at it out of curiosity. Have a great weekend!