Mazuri for Marginated?

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Being in Canada, and living in a remote farming area I have never been able to get my hands on mazuri diet, but always hear so much about it.

While browsing Petsmart tonight, I see the FINALLY added it, but just one selection.

Would this one be appropriate for my 2.5 year old Marginated?

Attachments

• 5A88B39D-AD6C-48CC-8CE8-00773FD2CBDC.jpeg
    5A88B39D-AD6C-48CC-8CE8-00773FD2CBDC.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 3

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Yes it would be fine to add. Just don't make it the biggest part of its diet.
thank you!
I use pellet mixes on the bottom of his fresh food, or mix them into a salad of sorts. Just gets harder to find food in the winter when all the fresh weeds are under a foot of snow

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
thank you!
I use pellet mixes on the bottom of his fresh food, or mix them into a salad of sorts. Just gets harder to find food in the winter when all the fresh weeds are under a foot of snow
Yes I understand that, food under snow or just dead now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Being in Canada, and living in a remote farming area I have never been able to get my hands on mazuri diet, but always hear so much about it.

While browsing Petsmart tonight, I see the FINALLY added it, but just one selection.

Would this one be appropriate for my 2.5 year old Marginated?
Most tortoises don't care for the LS type without a lengthy introduction period. Like ZP said, we are usually referring to ether regular type. The LS f a good supplemental food and worth the time to get them eating it.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Most tortoises don't care for the LS type without a lengthy introduction period. Like ZP said, we are usually referring to ether regular type. The LS f a good supplemental food and worth the time to get them eating it.
I’m going to try slowly mixing it into the pellets he does eat since I soak them into a mush and he loves it like that tossed with his fresh food.
It took me almost 2 years to get him eating pellets. He used to just pick anything colourful out of it and leave the rest

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The 5M21 is difficult to find. Especially in these smaller bags.
These get mushy faster and most tortoises are absolutely crazy about it

Attachments

• 20221030_193045.jpg
    20221030_193045.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I did see this one on Amazon but it didn’t have a buying option and had a lot of bad reviews
The type LS seems "better" on paper. But the 5M21 is the stuff that hobbyists and zoos have used for decades.
The results are undisputed. Even if the ingredients seem a bit less than ideal

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
The type LS seems "better" on paper. But the 5M21 is the stuff that hobbyists and zoos have used for decades.
The results are undisputed. Even if the ingredients seem a bit less than idealgood
Good to know! I’ve never been able to find Mazuri available in my area so I’m not very familiar with it

SteveM

MS
I got the 5M21 on amazon, 1.25 lb (566g) for USD $15.19 I don't have a Marginated but my little guy loves it, he has chosen it over the greens 50-60% of the time since day 1 and has had significant weight gain since starting it. It has only been a week so I can't say for sure if it is strictly the Mazuri or not. I soften it a little with warm water but I don't make it mushy.

Edit: He has been relieving himself a lot better since I started the Mazuri. I still soak him every day but it's just for hydration and sanitary reasons.

Attachments

• chart_maker_pro_1669586495612.jpg
    chart_maker_pro_1669586495612.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: