Mazuri for Pancakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlatStanley

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I looked to the forum and found some people feeding Mazuri tortoise food to pancakes so I feel like it is ok but I wanted to ask if there was anyone out there that made the decision not to feed Mazuri to their pancakes because of the 15% minimum protein levels in the pellets? Any input is welcomed.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
If you want to have a smooth shell don't do it. Luckily mine won't even touch mazuri....but i here cbb will eat it...i'd stick closer to the diet of a leopard tort

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Mazuri is just fine for Pancake Tortoises. Leopard Tortoises too.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This works the same for pancakes as any other tortoise. If conditions are too dry, they will pyramid, no matter what you feed them. If conditions are warm and humid, they will grow smooth no matter what you feed them. I bought five pancakes for my best friend three years ago. He's fed them occasional Mazuri along with a healthy diet of hibiscus, grape and mulberry leaves, weeds and various store bought leafy greens. Some of the babies were already starting to pyramid before I got them, but a covered top and humid hide in their bin brought it to a halt. Now they live mostly outside in a large cage.

I had a conversation with Richard Fife a few years ago, and he was of the opinion that some tortoises are fed a protein deficient diet, due to the incorrect and disproven assertion that excess protein causes pyramiding. (See the 2003 Austrian study). I have to agree with him, and all of my observations and little informal experiments line up with what he told me. The protein content of Mazuri will not make a properly housed, properly hydrated tortoise, pancake or otherwise, pyramid.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, so a vote from Tom that a whee bit o the protein is not so bad. A topic you sought when I mentioned it tangetenty in another thread.

Read what you c a n of the published works of Susan Donoghue. If there is enough long fiber in the diet, then 20 to 25% appears to be accpetable.

Will

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, i have two adults and a baby cake.i keep them very hydrated and warm. i also mix grassland tortoise pelets with the mazuri with greens, weeds and flowers. had to cut back on the pelet food it was making my female fat.she turned from a pancake into a hotpocket.'lol' i have some of the sweetest cakes and the are very flat. the baby ihop is pretty flat for a cb baby. well thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.