Mazuri goes bad after one month??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Everyone
I have a bag of Mazuri since the begining of April. This morning, I gave for pieces to Hermy. It was smelling different, good but different. Hermy ate the 4 pieces and went in the cold side of his enclosure. Now he is in his hide in the cold side (HE NEVER GOES IN THIS HIDE) And his head is half entered in his shell. Could it be possible that the mazuri went bad after only one month??

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I don't think it would be bad. I buy the super big bag of Mazuri and keep it for months and months with no problem. Just keep it in an air tight container.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
jlyoncc1 said:
I don't think it would be bad. I buy the super big bag of Mazuri and keep it for months and months with no problem. Just keep it in an air tight container.

ouff, I feel better now, thanks Dee. Maybe Hermy just ate too much (he is such a piglet haha :D).

M

Maggie Cummings

I bought a 25 pound bag at the beginning of winter and put as much as would fit in a cat litter container with a tight lid. I kept the rest of the bag closed tight in the Dale Earnhardt Memorial Worship Room and I just now went and smelled it and it's perfectly fine. Half the bag is still left. I don't think it would go bad, even after a long time. I've had mine for a good 7 months...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
maggie3fan said:
I bought a 25 pound bag at the beginning of winter and put as much as would fit in a cat litter container with a tight lid. I kept the rest of the bag closed tight in the Dale Earnhardt Memorial Worship Room and I just now went and smelled it and it's perfectly fine. Half the bag is still left. I don't think it would go bad, even after a long time. I've had mine for a good 7 months...

Thanks Maggie :)
I am glad it is still good, the bag I have is still full.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It shouldn't go bad that quick from what the ingredients are. I'd guess shelf life of about 6-12 months without freezing it (I think I read that once too, from someone who asked a Mazuri rep) Probably just a fluke with Hermy. Remember that Mazuri is higher in calories per weight than greens. You shouldn't need to feed much of it at all, so maybe Hermy just got sleepy from too much food. The smell may change over time as it is not as fresh (maybe not quite so pungent?). You can tell when I feed Mazuri here as the whole house smells like it since I microwave it moist and then crumble it for the little spoiled tortoise.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
tortoisenerd said:
It shouldn't go bad that quick from what the ingredients are. I'd guess shelf life of about 6-12 months without freezing it (I think I read that once too, from someone who asked a Mazuri rep) Probably just a fluke with Hermy. Remember that Mazuri is higher in calories per weight than greens. You shouldn't need to feed much of it at all, so maybe Hermy just got sleepy from too much food. The smell may change over time as it is not as fresh (maybe not quite so pungent?). You can tell when I feed Mazuri here as the whole house smells like it since I microwave it moist and then crumble it for the little spoiled tortoise.

3/4 of the bag is in bags in the freezer. Hermy looks better now, he just ate some greens and went to bed. You are so right about the smell. Hermy's room still smell like it. Put it in the microwave is a good idea :) Trevor must really like it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
He sniffs it out really well! It's one of his favorites so I don't give it too much (same with butternut squash, pumpkin, and cactus).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I also put mine in the freezer in zip lock bags. My boxies go insane over it....but boy their poop really smells horrible.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I do not know why they love it so much. When I give Mazuri to Hermy, the same day and the next day, he will eat his greens but without apetite as if it was not as good as mazuri :rolleyes:

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa 4 pellets are quite a bit perhaps you might want to cut that back a little for Hermy like two for now. Increasing has he grows. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa 4 pellets are quite a bit perhaps you might want to cut that back a little for Hermy like two for now. Increasing has he grows. :)

Thanks for the advice Robyn :)
That is what I am going to do. Hermy passed a lot of urates today, when I say a lot it means A LOT. I think it is because he ate Mazuri yesterday. I only give him mazuri once a week because when he eats it, he does not want to eat his greens the same day. I dont want him to be too picky so that is why he only gets mazuri once a week. I will cut down to 2 pieces next time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.