Mazuri main bulk of food?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
There has been lots of discussion here on Mazuri or no-Mazuri and every combination in between. I don't believe that there is any conclusion, scientific or otherwise, as to the long term health consequences of a Mazuri only diet. Personally, I can't grow foods that are as calcium rich and fibrous as my tortoise needs so I supplement. The soil here in San Diego is just not calcium rich so the plants growing in my yard will not yield a 5 or 6 to 1 Ca:p ratio. And, try as I might, I am never going to have as many species of plants growing in my tortoise pen as what might be avaiable in the wild. Therefore, I must supplement to supply all those nutrients that make a healthy tortoise. While some foods may provide lots of calcium, like opuntia cactus, or collards, and grape leaves, they are not complete diets. Mazuri is a way to "round out" my tortoises diet. My concern with it is that it contains ingredients that individually I would not feed my tort. It is higher in protein than most would suggest for a tortoise diet. It is lacking in long fiber that I understand is essential for their digestive tract. Exercise is import for tortoises and one way they get the exercise is to forage for food. Feeding a plate of Mazuri doesn't motivate them to work for their meals. Hince, Mazuri is 10% to 30% of my tortoises diet. Grass and weeds make up the remainder of his diet. Here is another link to view the opinions and thoughts of some of our other members.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30429-page-2.html