Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Those hets look neglected.. You should send them my way :p

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Mazuri Night

immayo said:
Those hets look neglected.. You should send them my way :p

Yep, as per Nicks instructions, i beat them daily, gotta break them like a stubburn mule, lmao. Im really itching for the quarantine period to finish so i can get them all out of their tubs and into their real homes.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Why on earth would you take advice from Nick?? Haha

TommyZ

5 Year Member

Jacqui said:
That one has an awesome carapace. :D

Lol, which? Ill assume you mean the really high marbled? That is milkshake, shes the "hottie" of the group, lol. I will admit though, ive really taken to the male marble, the darker one, his name is Blacky. Hes always bouncing around, likes a head scratch etc.

Although, the only awesome carapace i can take all the credit for is on the hatchling Tortellini. (Ok ok, you all get some credit too for educating me). You see that smoothness and nice growth lines, hunh hunh?? Lol

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I love these marbles but dont know much about them. What's the deal?! Please educate me.

TommyZ

5 Year Member

AnnV said:
I love these marbles but dont know much about them. What's the deal?! Please educate me.

Hi Ann,

The marbles are cherry head red foot tortoises. The "marbling" is those white streaks and spots that grow across the shell. As I understand it in the wild it is actually a negative thing as it makes their natural camouflage less effective and they are more likely to be preyed up on. However in captivity it is a desirable trait, stated subjectively of course.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL

TommyZ said:
AnnV said:

Hi Ann,

The marbles are cherry head red foot tortoises. The "marbling" is those white streaks and spots that grow across the shell. As I understand it in the wild it is actually a negative thing as it makes their natural camouflage less effective and they are more likely to be preyed up on. However in captivity it is a desirable trait, stated subjectively of course.

So I assume ppl are breeding them. Is this a recessive that may be just a happy surprise? Are the genetics for this trait understood?
I have a 5.5" 2 year old redfoot who is just starting to display some tiny light color spots. At first I thought some shell infection. But they are matching on both sides and dont seem yo be anything but pigment. Nothing like yours, very insignificant, but perhaps she has this in her genetics.

mikeh

5 Year Member
I see the baby is still growing super smooth Tommy. Bigger every time I see a pic.
I would introduce them to Zoomed Natural Forest Tortoise Food. Old Mazuri is equivalent to junk food fortified with vitamins. Not sure about the new formula.

TommyZ

5 Year Member

N2TORTS said:
" CHOW TIME" :D

Looking good "Z"man ........;)

Oh JD, perfect timing pal! Ann above ^^ had a ?, a few notches above my pay grade. I was just gonna yell for ya to come help :)

mikeh said:
I see the baby is still growing super smooth Tommy. Bigger every time I see a pic.
I would introduce them to Zoomed Natural Forest Tortoise Food. Old Mazuri is equivalent to junk food fortified with vitamins. Not sure about the new formula.

Thanks Mike. Hmph, ok zoomed diet, got it ill order up a batch tonight. Ill try both types of Mazuri also....hey, did you guys eat the mulberry leaves?? I was meaning to text ya and ask..

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
TommyZ said:
AnnV said:

As I understand it in the wild it is actually a negative thing as it makes their natural camouflage less effective and they are more likely to be preyed up on. However in captivity it is a desirable trait, stated subjectively of course.
Actually the marbling would have a greater effect and help camouflage the animal…..
A scenario much like this:
“The reason for using this sort of pattern is that it is visually disruptive. The meandering lines of the mottled camouflage pattern help hide the contour -- the outline -- of the body. When you look at a piece of mottled camouflage in a matching environment, your brain naturally "connects" the lines of the colored blotches with the lines of the trees, ground, leaves and shadows. This affects the way you perceive and recognize the person or object wearing that camouflage.
Human and animal perception naturally categorizes things in the world as separate objects. When you look at a scene, you are gathering an immense amount of information with your eyes and other senses. In order for your conscious mind to make any sense out of this information, your brain has to break it down into component parts. When your brain perceives a long, vertical area of brown with green blotches connected to it, you perceive a tree. And when your brain perceives many, many individual trees in a given area, you perceive a forest.
One thing your brain is always looking for when analyzing visual information is continuity. Imagine a stack of 12 blocks. If all of the blocks are colored red, you perceive the pile as one unit. But if the bottom six blocks are red and the top six blocks are blue, you may perceive the pile as two separate units: a stack of blue blocks on top of a stack of red blocks. And if you were to randomly mix blue blocks and red blocks together, you wouldn't group them into colored units at all. Animal and humans tend to recognize something as a separate object if it has one continuous color”

http://science.howstuffworks.com/military-camouflage1.htm

J~:shy:

TommyZ

5 Year Member

N2TORTS said:
TommyZ said:
AnnV said:

As I understand it in the wild it is actually a negative thing as it makes their natural camouflage less effective and they are more likely to be preyed up on. However in captivity it is a desirable trait, stated subjectively of course.
Actually the marbling would have a greater effect and help camouflage the animal…..
A scenario much like this:
“The reason for using this sort of pattern is that it is visually disruptive. The meandering lines of the mottled camouflage pattern help hide the contour -- the outline -- of the body. When you look at a piece of mottled camouflage in a matching environment, your brain naturally "connects" the lines of the colored blotches with the lines of the trees, ground, leaves and shadows. This affects the way you perceive and recognize the person or object wearing that camouflage.
Human and animal perception naturally categorizes things in the world as separate objects. When you look at a scene, you are gathering an immense amount of information with your eyes and other senses. In order for your conscious mind to make any sense out of this information, your brain has to break it down into component parts. When your brain perceives a long, vertical area of brown with green blotches connected to it, you perceive a tree. And when your brain perceives many, many individual trees in a given area, you perceive a forest.
One thing your brain is always looking for when analyzing visual information is continuity. Imagine a stack of 12 blocks. If all of the blocks are colored red, you perceive the pile as one unit. But if the bottom six blocks are red and the top six blocks are blue, you may perceive the pile as two separate units: a stack of blue blocks on top of a stack of red blocks. And if you were to randomly mix blue blocks and red blocks together, you wouldn't group them into colored units at all. Animal and humans tend to recognize something as a separate object if it has one continuous color”

http://science.howstuffworks.com/military-camouflage1.htm

J~:shy:

Seeeee...told ya hed know :)

mikeh

5 Year Member

mikeh said:

Thanks Mike. Hmph, ok zoomed diet, got it ill order up a batch tonight. Ill try both types of Mazuri also....hey, did you guys eat the mulberry leaves?? I was meaning to text ya and ask..
[/quote]

I chopped the leaves finely with broad leaf weeds, grass, oyster mushrooms and mixed it with zoomed forest food. That's pretty much their staple diet.
Otherwise the Browns will just sift thru all the food making a big mess picking out only mushrooms and spit everything else out .