Mazuri torotise diet LS

seiff

Since it's hay, doesn't sound appropriate for a Hermanns... glad I just bought some to try!

surfergirl

My Hermann and 2 of my Russians like the LS, they actually get excited to eat it but one of my Russians and my sully will not eat it. they treat the zoomed grassland diet exactly the same way same ones like it and the same do not. the LS does eventually soften up a bit but it still is quite fibrous. LS has less protein 11-12% and what I have read it was designed for the grassland torts. the regular mazuri has 15% protein so that I would think would be a better % for the forest/protein eating species. I am going to switch to the original recipe as an occasional items for mine after getting feedback and hearing concerns about the LS.

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I noticed that the LS does not soak up any water. I left the pellets in there for a while and just nothing. And it was hot water too. So I was wary of feeding it to her. She did eat it but it took a while. I haven't tried it again and I'm not sure that I will at all after reading this.
I think I'm going to order some of the regular brand but I'd rather make sure that her diet is good without pellets. Does anyone not feed their torts Mazuri at all? Is there an issue with a no pellet diet?

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I've tried the LS pellets and my sully wasn't very interested. It was hard to soften up with water but I mushed it up as best I could and mixed it with his greens. I noticed he was having a hard time with the bigger pieces so I ordered the small sized pellets for babies and now he loves it. It's the same LS diet but the smaller baby bite get mushy a lot faster and for some reason he likes them more.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Russian won't touch it
Since I posted that, I've been corrected. Some tortoise species DO eat it, I'm told.(the LS)
Most don't and you're right, it will not get soft in water unless it's crushed.
As for the content of the "regular" red label, It seems to work better than the contents would suggest as many of us have now used it for ten or more years and have very healthy tortoises to show for it.
I don't know if any of our tortoises have been fed primarily Mazuri. Just suplemented.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I noticed that the LS does not soak up any water. I left the pellets in there for a while and just nothing. And it was hot water too. So I was wary of feeding it to her. She did eat it but it took a while. I haven't tried it again and I'm not sure that I will at all after reading this.
I think I'm going to order some of the regular brand but I'd rather make sure that her diet is good without pellets. Does anyone not feed their torts Mazuri at all? Is there an issue with a no pellet diet?

Tortoises don't need any kind of manufactured diet/pellets in their diet. Fresh greens, weeds and plants is all they really need.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata definitely prefers the original Mazuri to the LS formula. I had fed him the original for a couple of years before trying the LS. You know how sulcatas are, he was reluctant to eat it when I first offered it. Then he would eat it when mixed with greens. Never did he eat just the LS formula. He eats the original any way I feed it. Usually mixed in with greens or hay. I have always felt that his reluctance to eat the LS was because he was accustom to the original and had nothing to do with the product itself. If I had continued to feed only the LS he would probably would have adapted to it. Maybe not.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I'm so glad this thread got revived as I too have been thinking about it lately. LS is the only thing that's been locally available for me. One of my babies loved Mazuri, and then... He didn't so much... Now looking back I'm beginning to understand why. The breeder who sold me the babies last year sent me sample of Mazuri in plastic container. It was not in original package. When it was out, I went to petco to buy more and grabbed Mazuri not noticing the LS behind the name. Tucker (my little Mazuri addict) seems to have stopped showing excitement on Mazuri days... And I haven't put 2&2 together till seeing this thread!!!! Wow! He may not like it so much bcs it's not this same Mazuri! I think the breeder had likely sent me the red label one! I wouldn't feed commercial pellets excusively but we do live in the era when technology advances have changed the way we eat. I like to stay pure and as close to origins as posibble but also like diversity and having options for my family and pets. Commercial food is a about 1/5th of their morning meal portion (remaining 4/5ths) are fresh food. Mazuri is offered about 2-3 days each week. I felt like regardless of typical commercial food fillers that companies use to make the pet chow, there are still potential benefits they can get from it in case something is missing out from their fresh food. Now knowing the difference between the different Mazuri foods, I'll definitely look into trying the red label to see if Tucker's initial Mazuri enthusiasm comes back. Boy, am I glad I found this forum last year!!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I pour hot water over the pellets just enough to cover and then maybe 1/2 cm over that level, and let it sit and cool off. By the time it's cool, the pellets soak up the water but still hold their shape, if you leave them that way and torts don't eat for a while, the water will completely evaporate and pellet will become as hard as it was to begin with. I often mash the softened pellets and mix the mash with the greens or whatever it is that is good for them. If you leave the soaking in water pellets alone for couple hrs the water surrounding pellets will turn to jello-like consistency. For my little Cherryhead picky eater I've also used fruit or veggie (like carrot) juice for soaking, or even tuna juice drained from "tuna in water" cans, or clam juice that I'd buy in bottle for my old sick kitty to get her more interested in food. Thank you again for reviving this thread!