Mazuri tortoise food

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have a little baby tortoise and his diet consists of actual weeds but sometimes in the winter it is hard to get them so I have tried to get my tortoise to eat the mazuri food but he will not eat it! He refuses and he will just go the day without eating if I put it in his food bowl. I have tried mixing it with weeds but he will just eat around the mazuri and only eat the weeds so I am wondering if you guys have any tips on how to get him to eat it or how to start switching him over to the mazuri food pellets? Please help!

daniellenc

Maryland
I hear they don't like the LS. I bought the original but my little guy has yet to eat it. Just keep trying and be patient. Soak it in warm water, or better yet some natural fruit juice until it's soft. In the meantime the grocery store always has lots of suitable greens to supplement the winter drought of weeds.

daniellenc

Maryland
Mine won't eat that either but keep trying. Usually if they see it enough eventually they will eat it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Try grinding the Mazuri or Zoomed pellets into almost a powder. Then mist the greens with water and sprinkle the ground up pellets on the greens. The powder sticks well enough to stay put when the tortoise bites into it. I supplement baby tortoises diets once a week with Mazuri in this manner when they're indoors.

daniellenc

Maryland
Now I may try this! Mine has ignored it in every form I have read on here!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have the LS

The only way I could get my greedy piggy tortoises to eat the LS was to mix it in with regular Mazuri. Most tortoises like the regular Mazuri, and in my experience most tortoises don't like the LS.

I've never seen a tortoise that would walk up and eat the ZooMed pellets. I had to mix it in with other stuff and introduce it slowly. They all eat it after that slow introductory period. I'm sure it would be the same with the LS if I took the time. I didn't like the LS because it wouldn't get mushy when soaked and the pieces were too big for my little tortoises.

So introduce the ZooMed stuff by soaking a small pice of one pellet and mixing that in with the days greens. To do the same with the LS, you'll have to device some way to crumble or crack it into smaller pieces. And try the regular Mazuri. Its a good supplemental food.