Mazuri vs Zoo Med?

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Initially, I'd bought both to see which Morla liked more. Luckily, she hated them both equally....

As I continued to learn about Russian tort diets, I noticed Mazuri had higher protein--something I thought was supposed to be avoided. (And given her chronic kidney disease, I definitely must keep protein at a minimun, so I did not feed that one again without really finding out if the diffr was even signif enough to actually matter.) Also, Mazuri ingredients include alfalfa, which I thought torts were to avoid, in favor of Timothy hay.

Through tinkering, I've gotten Morla to love the Zoo Med (Grassland) pellets rolled into her greens (burrito), and they were highly recommended by a MN Herp Soc member very well known and respected in the group for his tort care/collection.

But it seems here everyone uses Mazuri. Is it just what your tort will eat? Is it better in some way (and if so, how?)? I noticed some of you mention LS. I have not looked into this formulation--how is it diffr?

I am looking forward to learning more about this...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All Mazuri isn't the Mazuri that we reccomend here.
The easiest to find Mazuri is the LS type. A lot (most?) of tortoises are not fond of it. Although on paper, it is nutritionally superior...
Mazuri type 5M21 however, is loved by just about every tortoise that ever tasted it!
Its available at livestock TACK AND FEED stores from Purina in 25 pound bags for $30 to $50. (Some folks re sell it in smaller zip lock bags.)
The 5M21 on paper sounds like pure garbage. However, zoos and countless hobbyists have used it for decades and the results speak for themselves. This is a case of the end product equaling more than the sum of its parts somehow.
A bonus of the 5M21 is that it gets mushy when wet and can be mixed with medicine or other foods that a finicky tortoise might not otherwise eat. And that it is a decent stand by, occasional food for every species.
I place it in 1 gallon freezer bags and toss it in my freezer.
I also give away at least half of it.
Left out for weeks or months in a sealed container, I haven't noticed it get stale or go bad. My tortoises eat it no matter what...
But I have noticed that if you leave a large amount of it unrefrigerated, moths pop out of it. And I mean LOTS OF THEM.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
25lbs of Mazuri about $40

25lbs of Zoo Med about $250

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Initially, I'd bought both to see which Morla liked more. Luckily, she hated them both equally....

As I continued to learn about Russian tort diets, I noticed Mazuri had higher protein--something I thought was supposed to be avoided. (And given her chronic kidney disease, I definitely must keep protein at a minimun, so I did not feed that one again without really finding out if the diffr was even signif enough to actually matter.) Also, Mazuri ingredients include alfalfa, which I thought torts were to avoid, in favor of Timothy hay.

Through tinkering, I've gotten Morla to love the Zoo Med (Grassland) pellets rolled into her greens (burrito), and they were highly recommended by a MN Herp Soc member very well known and respected in the group for his tort care/collection.

But it seems here everyone uses Mazuri. Is it just what your tort will eat? Is it better in some way (and if so, how?)? I noticed some of you mention LS. I have not looked into this formulation--how is it diffr?

No tortoise likes new foods. We have to take the time to introduce anything new by slowly adding in small amount with other favorites. Regular Mazuri might be an exception to this, but ZooMed definitely isn't. The ZooMed stuff is a good food, but I know of no tortoise that would just walk up and start eating it the first time it saw it. All of the tortoises that I've taken the time to introduce it to seem to love it in time.

In the old days we were all taught that protein was the boogeyman. This is wrong. Tortoises NEED protein. Many tortoises have suffered from protein deficiency because of this often repeated, incorrect notion. They don't need cheeseburgers and chicken wings, but a little plant protein now an then is GOOD for them, as long as they are well hydrated. Higher amounts of protein are not a problem either if the tortoise is kept well hydrated. I grow my own fresh alfalfa and clover and feed it to my tortoises once or twice a week. I also grow lots of plantain weed which is also higher in protein than some foods. The amount of protein that is in Mazuri will not harm your tortoise. Mazuri is a convenient way to make sure your tortoise is getting all he nutrients it needs, including protein. I use it as a supplement to an otherwise "natural" diet of weeds, leaves, flowers, and succulents. If there are any nutrient deficiencies due to lack of variety at certain times of the year, or soil deficiencies, the Mazuri will make sure my tortoises have what they need.

I don't like Timothy hay for tortoises. Too stemmy. Its okay if it is all blended up in to fine particles, but otherwise, I avoid it. Russians are not grass eaters, so unless using hay to add fiber to grocery store greens, I wouldn't feed it to them at all.

Sa Ga

MN
No tortoise likes new foods. We have to take the time to introduce anything new by slowly adding in small amount with other favorites. Regular Mazuri might be an exception to this, but ZooMed definitely isn't. The ZooMed stuff is a good food, but I know of no tortoise that would just walk up and start eating it the first time it saw it. All of the tortoises that I've taken the time to introduce it to seem to love it in time.

In the old days we were all taught that protein was the boogeyman. This is wrong. Tortoises NEED protein. Many tortoises have suffered from protein deficiency because of this often repeated, incorrect notion. They don't need cheeseburgers and chicken wings, but a little plant protein now an then is GOOD for them, as long as they are well hydrated. Higher amounts of protein are not a problem either if the tortoise is kept well hydrated. I grow my own fresh alfalfa and clover and feed it to my tortoises once or twice a week. I also grow lots of plantain weed which is also higher in protein than some foods. The amount of protein that is in Mazuri will not harm your tortoise. Mazuri is a convenient way to make sure your tortoise is getting all he nutrients it needs, including protein. I use it as a supplement to an otherwise "natural" diet of weeds, leaves, flowers, and succulents. If there are any nutrient deficiencies due to lack of variety at certain times of the year, or soil deficiencies, the Mazuri will make sure my tortoises have what they need.

I don't like Timothy hay for tortoises. Too stemmy. Its okay if it is all blended up in to fine particles, but otherwise, I avoid it. Russians are not grass eaters, so unless using hay to add fiber to grocery store greens, I wouldn't feed it to them at all.
Thank you SO much, Tom! I might try to find some "regular" (not LS?) Mazuri then and work with Mo on that.

Banditboxer

Simsbury,CT
All Mazuri isn't the Mazuri that we reccomend here.
The easiest to find Mazuri is the LS type. A lot (most?) of tortoises are not fond of it. Although on paper, it is nutritionally superior...
Mazuri type 5M21 however, is loved by just about every tortoise that ever tasted it!
Its available at livestock TACK AND FEED stores from Purina in 25 pound bags for $30 to $50. (Some folks re sell it in smaller zip lock bags.)
The 5M21 on paper sounds like pure garbage. However, zoos and countless hobbyists have used it for decades and the results speak for themselves. This is a case of the end product equaling more than the sum of its parts somehow.
A bonus of the 5M21 is that it gets mushy when wet and can be mixed with medicine or other foods that a finicky tortoise might not otherwise eat. And that it is a decent stand by, occasional food for every species.
I place it in 1 gallon freezer bags and toss it in my freezer.
I also give away at least half of it.
Left out for weeks or months in a sealed container, I haven't noticed it get stale or go bad. My tortoises eat it no matter what...
But I have noticed that if you leave a large amount of it unrefrigerated, moths pop out of it. And I mean LOTS OF THEM.
Can I buy some from you? I have a red foot and a Chinese box turtle.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
LOL, I have the Tortoise anomaly at my house. I adopted an 8 year old Redfoot who was fed dog and cat kibble, canned vegetables and a bit of fresh fruit and veggies. I assume had never seen quality tortoise pellets until coming to live with me.
He won't touch Zoo Med's pellets (grassland or forest), ignores the original Mazuri, but loves Mazuri LS.

He also loves Purina Pro Plan - when the dogs drop a kibble or two he runs for them!

Lwilliams

Fremont, California

I found what looks to be the original (not LS) and there is a tad bit of sugar in the ingredients which may be why it’s a hit with the torties in the reviews. It comes in 1.5 lb boxes, perfect for me with just 2 Russians.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BOG8YU6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I bought the mazuri LS on accident, my torts didn't like it so much, so I ground it up with organic egg shells as a yummy sprinkled treat on their greens. They do like the zoo med grassland pellets and the other mazuri. Now we have started the dried foods from kapidolo farms. They like the small changes in their variety of foods. If it doesn't work grind it and sprinkle.. LOL

North Carolina
I am new to proper tortoise keeping as well and decided to go with Mazuri LS for my Elongated hatchling just to see how he would like it. At first he completely ignored it and ate around it but after mixing it in with a bit of banana and some other fruits he now happily eats the pellets. The LS also softens up with water and that is how I feed it: I heat up a few ml's of water per pellet and add the pellets afterwards. And like Tom says I only use the pellets as a supplement to fresh greens.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville

Is regular Mazuri ok for Russian tortoises if they are very hydrated?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m glad to see this thread. I have a 1 year only Hermann’s tortoise and have off and on looking for Mazuri 5M21 but it’s darn near impossible to find in Canada and non-existent in Sask where I live. Anyhow, just last night I found a company in Canada who is able to get it but of course I have to buy the big 25 pound bag. With tax and shipping it’s going to cost just under $100. Because I live in a tundra for about 9 months of the year it’s a challenge to always have the best variety of foods and the right kind of foods, so that’s why I’d like to try and supplement with Mazuri. I have tried the zoo med pellets for 9 months and it’s a losing battle every time. My little guy stays very well hydrated. I see him at his water saucer usually a few times per day having a good drink. Does anyone see any reason why I shouldn’t try Mazuri? I saw earlier mention of freezing it to make it last. How long do you think I could make it last for before it would go “bad”.