Mazuri weight vs salad weight

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
I had to post this asking about Mazuri since I've only recently started using it as her only daily diet recommended by the vet for the last week or 8 days rather and when I weighed her this morning she gained 22.4 grams in one week which is normally what she gains in about a month so I just wondered if there was any recommendations on the mazuri since she's been eating about five pieces a day

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I had to post this asking about Mazuri since I've only recently started using it as her only daily diet recommended by the vet for the last week or 8 days rather and when I weighed her this morning she gained 22.4 grams in one week which is normally what she gains in about a month so I just wondered if there was any recommendations on the mazuri since she's been eating about five pieces a day
I also started her back on her salad diet today which is about three-quarters of a cup about half of it cut grass and the rest baby clovers some baby grape leaves and a little bit of radicchio

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As they gain size, and get settled in and healthy, the growth rate accelerates.

Personally, I would not feed Mazuri every day. Once or twice a week is my preference.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
As they gain size, and get settled in and healthy, the growth rate accelerates.

Personally, I would not feed Mazuri every day. Once or twice a week is my preference.
I agree with you I'm the same way but this was a recommendation of my vet to eliminate any possibilities of food allergies from what I was feeding her and just give her mazuri only which I just think she was getting too much daily and that's what made her gain all that weight in one week like I said she normally gains 5 grams a week not 22g but apparently five- nuggets of mazuri a day make them gain that much weight

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I agree with you I'm the same way but this was a recommendation of my vet to eliminate any possibilities of food allergies from what I was feeding her and just give her mazuri only which I just think she was getting too much daily and that's what made her gain all that weight in one week like I said she normally gains 5 grams a week not 22g but apparently five- nuggets of mazuri a day make them gain that much weight

What food allergies are you speaking of? You or the tortoise?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

How much does she weigh?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I feed mazuri as a supplement or treat, so 1-2 times a week, and even then, it's not all they're eating... I generally wet it to the consistency of oatmeal or thick salad dressing and toss it with other foods.

Jamie

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
How much does she weigh?
she went from 175 grams last week to 197 grams this week which normally she only gains between 3 and 5 grams a week typically on her salad diet but this last eight days she was on mazuri only per my vet which I've never fed her just mazuri so I like had to feed her at least five pellets a day that's what she ended up eating

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I feed mazuri as a supplement or treat, so 1-2 times a week, and even then, it's not all they're eating... I generally wet it to the consistency of oatmeal or thick salad dressing and toss it with other foods.

Jamie
I realize that because I normally only feed her one or two pellets a week but this was a diet prescribed by my vet so I gave her as much as she would eat in a day which was about five pellets

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
so I guess it would seem obvious that the Missouri is what made her gain the weight in the last week is my point she normally eats a salad everyday not 5 nuggets of mazuri which is probably high in protein causing her to gain all that weight

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Mazuri is more calorie dense than the salad.

I think its fairly normal for them to double in weight every 6-8 weeks when they're growing, so the 22g is in line with that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with you I'm the same way but this was a recommendation of my vet to eliminate any possibilities of food allergies...
Non-domesticated animals don't have allergies. In the wild even the mildest allergy to anything would be enough to get them immediately eliminated form the gene pool. This being the case, our tortoises don't have allergy issues.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Mazuri is more calorie dense than the salad.

I think its fairly normal for them to double in weight every 6-8 weeks when they're growing, so the 22g is in line with that.
Well she's only gained between 20 and 25 G every month since I got her in April she has a slow week every month but other than that she's been consistently between 20 and 25 grams

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Non-domesticated animals don't have allergies. In the wild even the mildest allergy to anything would be enough to get them immediately eliminated form the gene pool. This being the case, our tortoises don't have allergy issues.

This is exactly why I didn't understand original poster's comment when he or she mentioned the vet said something about eliminating food allergies. Like say what?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I hear you she just meant something going in her mouth other than the Mazuri to eliminate that possibility as far as determining what the swelling's coming from but I was able to get an appointment tomorrow morning with jarchow so we shall see what's going on with her

Fresno