Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ca.
Hi I always hear how much people's tortoises all love Mazuri, and mine will never eat it. I think I'm preparing it wrong because it seems to complicated the I do it. Could someone tell me how to prepare Mazuri properly please?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I put it in a bowl, cover with warm water. Let it soak in for about 10 minutes. Mix up with whatever chopped greens you're feeding. Add warm water to make the consistancy about like tuna salad. Mine all seem to like it like that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do it pretty similar too. Soak it til its mushy, then just mash it all up with some chopped greens. Start with mostly greens and just a few pieces of Mazuri and gradually change the ratio until it suits you.

Some torts take to it like candy the first time they ever see it and others, rarely, never seem to like it much. My big boy, Scooter, the closest thing to a pig wearing a hard shell I've ever seen, doesn't care much for it. He'll eat a little of it, if there is nothing else available, but just walks away from it after a few bites. His brother, the girls, all the juvies and babies all love it and will eat as much as I will give them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You can make it lots of ways. I soak mine in water or a pretty 'plain and natural' fruit or vegetable juice for about 30 seconds, drain and serve.

Some, as have said above, soak it longer, or mash it up, or mix it with other things.

Mazuri has a rather sweet taste thanks to molasses in the mix, so your tort should be at least somewhat attracted to it.

It is also possible that there is some other reason here- too hot or cold, too dry or wet overall, stressing factors, etc.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Ok thanks I'm going to feed him right now so I will mix it in with the greens and mash up the Mazuri, I haven't been doing that but I have been soaking it for like 5 min. It's not a problem either where it is too hot or too cold because he always eats every last bite of the rest of his greens.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I just fed Bing a half an hour ago and did everything you guys said I will post later when he starts to eat. What is pure cactus mix I've never heard of that?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
ewam said:
Oh ok I read it wrong where do I get that from.

You do it yourself, I use a food processor to puree my cactus and other food item for the torts...

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
ewam said:
Where do you get the cactus pad from?

i can usually find it at ethnic food store, (Mexican). They seem to have it when no one else has.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I don't have any Mexican food stores anywhere near me, never even seen one before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Or you can order it from a number of sources here on the forum. Try tortoisesupply.com

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I don't really want to order it though. Can you maybe grow it or something. Also Bing barely ate any of his food today which is very unusual, I'm thinking he just really doesn't like Mazuri. I won't give him any tomorrow and see if he eats any of his greens.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi, getting them to eat Mazuri is not easy. You have been given some pretty good advise already, but I get super hot water and drop some Mazuri in it and swish it around for about 30 seconds then pour off the water. I personally would not feed my tort for a few days as long as he is a juvenile or older. Make sure he's hungry first, then make sure the Mazuri is not super mushy. If he's hungry and has not been fed for a few days he should eat it. That's how I would do it. I will start feeding it to Bob as soon as winter rolls around and I think it's pretty good for him. He's just been grazing all summer so he's probably short of vitamins and nutrients...

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
He is only a yearling. How old does a tort have to be to be considered to be a juvinille.

M

Maggie Cummings

ewam said:
He is only a yearling. How old does a tort have to be to be considered to be a juvinille.

Your guy is old enough to go without eating for a couple of days, then he'll be really hungry and he'll eat the Mazuri...

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
So your saying not to feed him tomorrow and he will probably eat the Mazuri on Monday. I guess i can try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.