Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central TX
How do you get your torts to eat Mazuri food? My torts avoid pellets and only eat veggies.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The best way that I know of, is to soak it in water so that is soft but still firm and place it on to a leaf of whatever their favorite food is. They will get bits of it while eating the lettuce or whatever and find out that they LOVE it! Douglas

S

stells

oh no Terry don't say that i've been there before lol
*hides from Ed* lol

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have tried feeding some Mazuri to the DT to supplement their feedings. The males love it. The female won’t touch it. She won’t touch even the greens that it is near. However I have a new problem. My Pomeranian, he has found he LOVES it. He thinks it is the best thing he has ever tired and when I take it outside to feed to the DT he will dance all over the yard trying to get me to give him some. I have to lock him in the house because he will jump into the pen and eat it up before the torts even get to it.
This is a dog that won’t eat anything green. He likes it soft or hard doesn’t matter to him all he has to do is smell it and he starts drooling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Crazy1 said:
. My Pomeranian, he has found he LOVES it. He thinks it is the best thing he has ever tired and when I take it outside to feed to the DT he will dance all over the yard trying to get me to give him some.

LOL!! Yesterday I brought home a 50lb bag of Trout Chow (Aqua Max) and I sat in my recliner chair with the bag on one side and some plastic sandwich bags on the other. I bagged it up into the smaller bags while I watched TV, then put it into the freezer. Trouble was, my finicky cat, who only licks the juice off the canned cat food and will only eat a certain brand of dry cat food, wouldn't leave me alone! She LOVES that stuff!! (As an aside to this story: You just can't wash that fishy smell off of you! It must grab onto the nose hairs and stick there. I'm still smelling it this a.m.! I tried to have an ice cream snack last night, and the fishy smell just turned my stomach...couldn't eat the ice cream! H-m-m-m- m! A new diet plan??????)

Yvonne

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have never used Mazuri, and i have really paid much attention to it at all. But it appears everyone is all over it like its a miracle food for your torts. Can it be fed to any species of tort? I would feed it to my DT, a Red Foot I might get, and a Galapagos I might get. So is this food good for both Desert and Tropical Species? For herbivores and/or omnivores?

How much do you feed? What is the best method to feed? How much should a bag cost? Where is the best place to buy it? Are there generic brands of the same stuff? What is it composed of?

Sorry for all the questions, but i think the most natural foods are the best, but maybe im wrong, or maybe this is just a good supplement... you tell me.

thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Cory, there are different feelings on this as with any pelleted food. I listened to a sales rep that gave a presentation at our meeting at the CTTC. I use it only occasionally as a kind of treat for the DT. If a tort doesn’t like it or won’t eat it I don’t feed it to them.
Some people like really support it and feed it almost exclusively and say they get great results, others use it as a supplement or a treat and others say NO way only the real deal for them. Here is the site it has all the ingredients so you can make a more informed decision. https://www.mazuri.com/indexMazuri.asp

Tortoise diet select here: https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=1

It clearly states that this has been developed for Galapagos torts but may be beneficial for other types of dry land torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feed the leopards and the Aldabrans a meal of Mazuri Tortoise food once a week. Reason being I feel the nutritional value of their graze has diminished and the Mazuri is one way for me to be sure the torts are getting the vitamens and minerals they require. (These two groups of tortoise only graze, I don't feed them other than the once a week Mazuri.)

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
And it was originally developed for Galaps so completely safe for those as well ;) I feed it about 2x a week sometimes more if they dont get to go outside and graze. I feed it to my Box Turtles, Hermanns, Golden Greek and Redfoots. I also fed it to my Leopards.

You can check with any Purina dealer and get a cost for the 25lb bags or buy 1lb bags from pet stores that carry it.

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
I read the ingredients and other that there being vitamins (which many lose potency quickly in pelleted/bagged feeds I don't see anything that relates to a sulcata. In fact the protein looks high.

So maybe for sulcatas this should not be used? Or only like Yvonne does, when it's needed and once a week?

For vitamins I will occasionally sprinkle a vitamin powder for the big torts on his food but only once or twice a week.

What have other people experienced with Mazuri and sulcatas?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
can you tell m how much protein is required?

That sulcata pictured has been raised on Mazuri since it was a hatchling... about 8 years ago.

redkim said:
I read the ingredients and other that there being vitamins (which many lose potency quickly in pelleted/bagged feeds I don't see anything that relates to a sulcata. In fact the protein looks high.

So maybe for sulcatas this should not be used? Or only like Yvonne does, when it's needed and once a week?

For vitamins I will occasionally sprinkle a vitamin powder for the big torts on his food but only once or twice a week.

What have other people experienced with Mazuri and sulcatas?

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
I have been trying to get an exact figure on the percentage of protein that is allowable and so far no luck. What I have found is that alfalfa hay should not be fed to sulcatas due to the high protein. Alfalfa is about 16% protein, the Mazuri food listed protein at 15%. Plus in the ingredients it is only soy, corn, alfalfa - these are all no-no's as I have been told. So that's why I stayed away from the Mazuri.

I would love to know if it is good for them as I very much believe in the Mazuri name. I currently feed Mazuri to my ferrets and when I worked in zoos and with exotics, Mazuri was everywhere for everything!

When I go to websites like sulcata station.com they all warn that diets high in protein will cause pyramiding and renal issues. EJ - as you have been doing this with your sulcata it's obviously been doing fine . . . who knows what to do? Wonder what the protein content in African grasses are?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
That's exactly my point... you cannot come up with a requirement. If you can't come up with a requirement how can you make a statement that it is too much. Protein requirement is going to vary depending on the individual and the conditions under which that animal is going to be kept.

The other point... why is corn, wheat, soy, soy hulls... bad for the animal?

Most, if not all, of the people who shy away from this diet have most likely never used it.

Ed
redkim said:
I have been trying to get an exact figure on the percentage of protein that is allowable and so far no luck. What I have found is that alfalfa hay should not be fed to sulcatas due to the high protein. Alfalfa is about 16% protein, the Mazuri food listed protein at 15%. Plus in the ingredients it is only soy, corn, alfalfa - these are all no-no's as I have been told. So that's why I stayed away from the Mazuri.

I would love to know if it is good for them as I very much believe in the Mazuri name. I currently feed Mazuri to my ferrets and when I worked in zoos and with exotics, Mazuri was everywhere for everything!

When I go to websites like sulcata station.com they all warn that diets high in protein will cause pyramiding and renal issues. EJ - as you have been doing this with your sulcata it's obviously been doing fine . . . who knows what to do? Wonder what the protein content in African grasses are?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
redkim said:
EJ - as you have been doing this with your sulcata it's obviously been doing fine . . .

And pictures don't lie do they? ;) Ed has some fabulous looking torts raised on Mazuri.

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
I know I know - hence the confusion!! :)

So far I got Alfalfa @ 16% BAD, Mazuri @ 15% GOOD.

How often do you feed your torts Mazuri Ed? And what else is in the diet?

Hey - I even have to watch the protein to the horses, alfalfa/corn/etc can all wreak havoc if not careful!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
EJ-- when you say you raised your hatchlings on it, does that mean you ONLY fed them Mazuri, and NOTHING else, or that was their primary diet?

Just so I understand it completely (and so I can do the same thing for a Red Foot and Galp I'm getting)...

You feed them twice a week on Mazuri...and what else did you do?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
WOW!! I love that link!!! thank you so much for providing it. So I am now 100% certain I will use it to feed my Galp along with cactus.

As far as Red Foot-- i'll stick with the turtletary and redfoots.com websites.

thanks guys for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.