Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

5 Year Member
I just received a pound of mazuri for my RT. Dumb Question... Do I soak it in water? Give it to her dry? And about how much do you offer a full grown RT? Thanks!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Some feed it dry. For babies and smaller torts they crush it up first. I believe most will moisten the Mazuri. Their website says to feed about 1 to 4% of their body weight. My sulcata will eat about 1% of his weight, but he grazes as much as he wants all day. On those occasions when he hasn't been able to graze I have seen him eat as much as 2% of his weight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak it first and make it mushy. For a Russian I would soak 3 or 4 pellets and then mush it all up with some greens to get him started on it. Some tortoise take a little while to get used to it, while others just start eating it like candy right away.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I soak mine for all of my tortoises except my big male sulcata he seems to like them better dry.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
My two RT's. I take about 4 Pellets Each.. so 8 total. Then I use my Sierra Water machine & use the Hot water & add a dab/drops/stream into the cup or bowl; swish it around then add a small amount of cool water or room temp till half or more of the pellets are submerged. Let stand for Five minutes. Then with a plastic fork I mush it as best as I can, but if there are hard chunks here and there I leave them as I like them to put effort in eating "softer" foods. Now if I was feeding my Yearlings; then yes soaked all the way through; some youngers ones like it smoother like baby food; but the older ones like it to take shape, so I usually squish in some spring mix or something yummy to keep them ineterested in a ball of mush =-]

Niki

5 Year Member
Now if she will come out of her burrow :) she sleeps so late. Can't wait for her to try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.