Mccord’s Box Turtles

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
It’s been 6 weeks since they arrived and have settled in perfectly. They no longer retract their heads when I enter their room (gee, I wonder why ). I have two more (unrelated) coming in the near future, which will bring me to 0.0.4. This only helps the chances of male vs female.A5DE56CE-A6CC-4F41-BFC3-A555360B3576.jpeg 6A48C1C9-B33C-4FDB-9525-F82327A2FEF6.jpeg 10394F7C-0CB7-4D00-AC22-762A7D50984D.jpeg

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I look forward to following this thread. Good luck.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Wow, uber rare...Not much first-hand information out there on raising them. I’m sure lots of people (including me) would love updates on their growth!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
They've been with me for about 10 months now. They're really starting to show their growth now, and man oh man are they boisterous little fellows. Definitely one of the most personable Cuora I've been blessed to work with. I have another 2 that will be arriving in the summer.

tt06224.jpg06223.jpg06222.jpg06221.jpg

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
They have had some good growth. Good job.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I moved the little pistols into their own Waterland last evening. They are beyond tickled. Next spring, they will be large enough to move to an outdoor enclosure. I have 2 more coming as soon as travelling from state to state won't be an issue.

I72301.jpg72302.jpg72303.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Gorgeous guys, really spectacular looking....congrats and congrats on the upcoming additions! I did a little reading on them since I wasn't familiar.....you have an opportunity to breed a critically endangered species, I wish you luck!

St Louis zoo;

McCord's Box Turtle
  • flavor_txt_animals.png
Geographical RangeSouthern China
HabitatMountain streams
Scientific NameCuora mccordi
Conservation StatusCritically endangered
This rare turtle wasn't discovered until 1988. It only occurs in a small mountainous area of China, where it lives near streams. Little is known about the turtles' habits in the wild, but scientists hope they'll have time to learn. Like many Asian turtle species, McCord's box turtles are in danger of extinction because they are being over-hunted as a food source.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Kudo's my friend!

jeff

Last edited:

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
They are past the critically endangered point. Although no official status has been updated in some time, they are believed to now be extinct. And they have not been seen in markets for several years now.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
@harris You mentioned having two different lineages represented in your group. Do you know how many different bloodlines there are in the US? If they are truly extinct in the wild I hope there is enough genetic diversity to maintain the species.

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
These are very fascinating Cuora species. Their one for sale with the turtle source, but oh man the price is not for me! lol

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
They are past the critically endangered point. Although no official status has been updated in some time, they are believed to now be extinct. And they have not been seen in markets for several years now.
Probably extinct in the wild , but thousands are produced in turtle farms in China every year .