Me again... worried about hatchling's health

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Really sorry to keep bothering you, but this morning I found Herbie sleeping under his log hide - I let him be. I came back around an hour later, with some weeds, and he was still there. I wafted them around a bit, and with this he's normally out like a shot, but not today. Left him for around 10 minutes, he was awake but not moving (still under his log) and felt cold to the touch. I immediately moved him from under the shady log to a warmer area (but not his basking area as I didn't want to shock him) and he stayed there for about 10 minutes, not walking, but doing these sort of 'push ups' if anybody knows what I mean. To put it delicately, he may have been having sexual intercourse with the floor.

Fast forward 15 minutes later: He felt warmer so I moved him to his basking spot. He resumed said 'push ups' for a while and sort of went for his food. Now he's standing up properly, eating a little but taking lots of breaks before flopping down his hind legs again. Am I worried over nothing? I don't think this warrants a vet visit, but maybe a 24 hour observation period? Or is this nothing unusual?

His heat lamp has been on since 6 this morning, but it takes a while to heat up so it's only 25.1degrees in there.

I also have some questions about his humidity, but those can wait until later.

Thank you all so much, and I hope that I'm worried over nothing - although I don't want to waste your time, either!

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Thinking about it, saying 'he may have been having sexual intercourse with the floor' isn't really putting it delicately.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
if he's cold to the touch the ambient temperature is currently too low

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
What kind of tortoise is Herbie? Most tortoises need a minimum of 26 c degrees at the least. ESPECIALLY babies. Have you read all the care sheets for his species for day and night minimum temps?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
first find out what the ambient temperature is second increase it higher watt bulb closer to the tortoise itself lots of ways to do it

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
His 'push ups' are likely just breathing - I'm assuming he was pumping his front legs? That's how they breath. Hatchlings don't simulate breeding behaviours, at least as far as I know.

What species is he? Your temperature sound too cool for many hatchlings.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

He no longer feels cold, and I've just put him in for a soak. Does he sound okay?

The temp is still only 25.8. It normal gets much warmer than this, I think we must have another broken bulb, argh! This is the second brand we've tried!

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

What kind of tortoise is Herbie? Most tortoises need a minimum of 26 c degrees at the least. ESPECIALLY babies. Have you read all the care sheets for his species for day and night minimum temps?

Hermann's. He's 3 months old. Yeah, I've read the care sheets. The temp is usually around 28. It's 26.1 now. I have no idea why it's taking so long to heat up today.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

His 'push ups' are likely just breathing - I'm assuming he was pumping his front legs? That's how they breath. Hatchlings don't simulate breeding behaviours, at least as far as I know.

What species is he? Your temperature sound too cool for many hatchlings.

That's exactly what he was doing. I must sound like such an idiot!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are four temperatures for you to know, observe and adjust when needed. Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low.

Where in the enclosure is the temp 25.1 or 26?

What heating and lighting equipment are you using?

Do you have a timer on your heat lamp?

Please read these. Sound like you might need a few more tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I typed this up for russians, but care for a hermanni is essentially the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
This explains what heating and lighting equipment to use and how to use it. Its a good starting point.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

There are four temperatures for you to know, observe and adjust when needed. Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low.

Where in the enclosure is the temp 25.1 or 26?

What heating and lighting equipment are you using?

Do you have a timer on your heat lamp?

Please read these. Sound like you might need a few more tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I typed this up for russians, but care for a hermanni is essentially the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
This explains what heating and lighting equipment to use and how to use it. Its a good starting point.

The 26 temp is sort of the 'middle of the range temp.' I'll measure the others right now.

And, thanks Tom. You always give such knowledgable advice. I know I sound very amateurish - and I am! Sometimes, I feel like I know what I'm doing, and other times I'm just baffled! Good job I found this forum.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

The 26 temp is sort of the 'middle of the range temp.' I'll measure the others right now.

And, thanks Tom. You always give such knowledgable advice. I know I sound very amateurish - and I am! Sometimes, I feel like I know what I'm doing, and other times I'm just baffled! Good job I found this forum.

Oh! And yes, I do use a timer. It's on 6am through 9pm.

I use Arcadia D3 100W bulb (2-in-1 Mercury vapour heat/light bulb)

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Well, I measured and got some shocking results!

Average temp- 27.0

Hot- 36 degrees! I used our new, more accurate thermometer.

I think I've found our problem. I was having some humidity issues - I'd spray the tank up to 83% humidity, and a few minutes later it was down to 36%! I think the bulb is too low! I'm going to raise the bulb and see if that helps.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
And overnight low minimums are usually around 26c or a bit more. So I would think that means you shouldn't find a 24c or 25c in there ever....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, I measured and got some shocking results!

Average temp- 27.0

Hot- 36 degrees! I used our new, more accurate thermometer.

I think I've found our problem. I was having some humidity issues - I'd spray the tank up to 83% humidity, and a few minutes later it was down to 36%! I think the bulb is too low! I'm going to raise the bulb and see if that helps.

36 degrees right under the bulb is good. 36 all over the whole enclosure would be a little too warm for a hermanni.

That is a good bulb.

What is your overnight low temp?

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

36 degrees right under the bulb is good. 36 all over the whole enclosure would be a little too warm for a hermanni.

That is a good bulb.

What is your overnight low temp?

Argh! I was sure I knew what was wrong!

This is a stupid question, but does overnight low temp mean lamp has been off for 1+ hours and measure in coolest area at, say... 10pm?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Argh! I was sure I knew what was wrong!

This is a stupid question, but does overnight low temp mean lamp has been off for 1+ hours and measure in coolest area at, say... 10pm?

My house and enclosures cool down more by 6am than they do by 10 pm. We need to know the lowest temp that the enclosure gets to at the coldest part of the night, after the heat has been off all night.