Me again... worried about hatchling's health

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Okay. I'll measure it before 6 tomorrow. Now, he's back under the log, sleeping, but I'm worried I'll find him cold again tomorrow. Is he under there because he's too hot, or because his spider plants (where he always used to sleep) have wilted and gone dry? Will he get too cold during the night?

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Hoping that these will illustrate what I mean. He used to sleep under the spider plants:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443466374.096106.jpg

But as you can see, they've died due to my terrible plant-keeping skills. I'm worried that he'd rather sleep somewhere 'safe' ie underneath the log, than in the right temp. This is the log.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443466454.394283.jpg

He's right at the back

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443466472.017392.jpg

Please help!

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Oh, and I'm in England, as well. So not freezing, but not warm either. We're feeling the effects of Autumn.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Oh, and I'm in England, as well. So not freezing, but not warm either. We're feeling the effects of Autumn.

You need to find out how low temperatures get overnight in the enclosure. If they're too low, you'll need to change your nighttime heat set up. Are you just using that little dial thermometer to measure temperature? Those are not known for their accuracy. If you're comfortable in the room at night without needing to be under a pile of blankets though, it's likely not too cold.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

You need to find out how low temperatures get overnight in the enclosure. If they're too low, you'll need to change your nighttime heat set up. Are you just using that little dial thermometer to measure temperature? Those are not known for their accuracy. If you're comfortable in the room at night without needing to be under a pile of blankets though, it's likely not too cold.

Oh, God no! That thing's less accurate than... well anything, really. I use a digital thermometer.

I sleep in short sleeved top and trousers, under a single duvet cover - no blankets. Do you think this would qualify as ok nighttime temperature? I'll put in a thermometer tonight to find out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
is he cold to the touch when you wake up?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat to control your night time temperatures, particularly in a climate like the UK.
This provides the necessary heat, but no light as tortoises need darkness to sleep properly.
Check the care sheets for the minimum temperatures for Hermann's tortoises.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
It got to 19 degrees at about 6am this morning, before the lamp came on. That's too cold, isn't it?
Waaaay too cold. you need a ceramic heat emitter(CHE). it's just a funny shaped bulb that fits into a light socket and doesn't light up but gets hot.

Last edited:

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

You need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat to control your night time temperatures, particularly in a climate like the UK.
This provides the necessary heat, but no light as tortoises need darkness to sleep properly.
Check the care sheets for the minimum temperatures for Hermann's tortoises.

First of all, sorry for not replying sooner, but my iPod has been funny all day and the forum hasn't been updating with replies. Secondly, thanks for telling me - I had no idea my room got so cold.

Please could someone recommend a good CHE? I've had some horrible bulbs, so I want to get this right this time.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
First of all, sorry for not replying sooner, but my iPod has been funny all day and the forum hasn't been updating with replies. Secondly, thanks for telling me - I had no idea my room got so cold.

Please could someone recommend a good CHE? I've had some horrible bulbs, so I want to get this right this time.
I've never heard anyone complain of a bad one, unlike bulbs, and I don't know what marks you get in the UK.
I think all of them are much the same. I'll ask the CDR Brits.