Mediterranean Tortoises in winter

xtc951

5 Year Member
I got six Mediterranean Tortoises before half of year.Now they live together in winter.May be not a good choice.Should I let them hibernate?

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Yes it is very important for your animals that they hibernate. Without hibernation they come out if their rhythms. Hibernation make them still healthy too.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
You're a bit late to hibernate now.
However, you do have a major problem. Mediterranean tortoises are not a species. You are mixing species and that can cause all sorts of problems. You definitely have two Russians, the ones which aren't pictured in the first 2 pics. Your others appear to be Hermann's but for some reason I can't think for the life of me what subspecies today. To get the subspecies of the Russians, we'll need better pics.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hibernating isn't necessary for the survival of your animals.I have never hibernated a animal and they all live and breed every year.I know lots of breeders hear on the forum that do not hibernate their animals including myself.It's a big topic here but I do not recommended hibernating your animals in captivity,it isn't necessary for animal and will not shorten there life span or reproduction.I just separate my male's and female's during the winter and mix them together in the spring.Everyone has a opinion on this topic as well as the size of there housing,food,temperature and overall care of species.Research research research and make a healthy choice that fits you and your animals.I do not recommended hibernating captive tortoises it isn't necessary in captivity.Mixing different species of testudo tortoises can cause health issues,it's not recommended by anyone.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I see two russians as well, then some hermann's a marginated or greek (though I guess marginated). Please post plastron shots of all the tortoises so we can identify them. We have some real identifying experts on here!

xtc951

5 Year Member
juli11 said:
Yes it is very important for your animals that they hibernate. Without hibernation they come out if their rhythms. Hibernation make them still healthy too.

Yes,I agree with your opinion.I am not sure whether they fit in the environment.All they just sleep on the soil but not bury thenselves in substrate.So I give up hibernate this year.

peasinapod said:
I see two russians as well, then some hermann's a marginated or greek (though I guess marginated). Please post plastron shots of all the tortoises so we can identify them. We have some real identifying experts on here!
Thanks peasinapod a lot.Yes,there are two russians, three hermann's an one marginated.And my mom also keep five hermann's.:)

FLINTUS said:
You're a bit late to hibernate now.
However, you do have a major problem. Mediterranean tortoises are not a species. You are mixing species and that can cause all sorts of problems. You definitely have two Russians, the ones which aren't pictured in the first 2 pics. Your others appear to be Hermann's but for some reason I can't think for the life of me what subspecies today. To get the subspecies of the Russians, we'll need better pics.
Thanks FLINTUS。There are one marginated,two russians and three hermann's.I have to keep them in one enclosure now.And all we know it is not a good choice.But the new house of tortoise is coming soon.:)