Mee Eggs deuxième partie 9/18/21

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Earlier this year William and I added a young adult pair of Manouria emys emys to our group. After quarantine I put the male by himself and the female in with my existing pair. She has been odd man out this whole time.

A couple days ago she lazily started moving debris around in the rain forest yard. Not real industrious, just hap hazardly. ANd today I noticed it was starting to look sort of like a nest, with quite a bit up against their west fence.*

Tonight as I was going around doing my evening chores I heard this terribly loud grunting coming from her yard. She was straining badly to release an egg. I went and got my stool and a bowl and sat down beside her, planning to act as mid-wife to a tortoise. I interject here for your edification that a female tortoise that's nesting gets 'in the zone' and hardly anything bothers her - she just doesn't notice what is going on around her. The first egg was completely past the body cavity, but it was still being held fast by the tissue around the cloaca, which wouldn't stretch enough to let go of the egg. So I took the nails on both my hands, one set on either side of the egg, and hooked them under that tissue, pulling it back towards her body. Out popped the egg. I did this five more times and finally the sixth egg popped out by itself.

I'm still not up to snuff since my accident, and it was getting painful for me to sit there in that position, so after 21 eggs, and since she seemed to be doing ok by herself, I gathered up my bowl of eggs and came in the house. I'll go out first thing in the a.m. and rescue any more she may have deposited.

9-18-21 Mee eggs.jpg

*Interesting to note, she's not finished 'building' the nest. She moved a bit of leaves and dirt, I'd say about 6 or 8" of it, then dug a depression in it and started laying the eggs. After she's finished laying them she'll go back out into the yard and start scraping more leaves and dirt towards the nest, covering it up until it's a couple feet tall and maybe 4 or 5' around.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Wow what story and a brilliant result! Keep us posted on incubation, hatchling etc.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good luck! I hope they hatch, but not on that perlite.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's really a wonder any wild Manouria tortoises hatch. They are SO clumsy when they cover the eggs and build a nest around them. I went out this a.m. and there were eight eggs to gather, with one of them so severely cracked I tossed it. The eggs weren't in the cavity she made last night. During her scraping to cover the nest she scattered them all around the hill she's building. The ones I managed to salvage look pretty darned good, though. This poor female is SO tired this a.m., and she's still in the zone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good luck! I hope they hatch, but not on that perlite.
Don't worry, as soon as they pip they'll be removed. I have to take a look in the incubator daily, sometimes more than once a day because of the gnat maggots that are attracted to this species' eggs