Meet Bentley

Jerandemsmom

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello from Virginia! I have a 3 (?) year old Russian Tortoise named Bentley. I’m in wheelchair and Bentley is the name of a fierce tortoise in a wheelchair in a video game my kids played - so his name was obvious!! I want to say thanks to the forum in general - you answered all my questions as I researched before I got him and have also answered all my panicked “new Mom” worries as we are getting to know each other! I’ve never owned a reptile before and I’m excited at how much personality and spunk he has!

I do have a quick question: He will eat me out of house and Home if I let him. I’ve read conflicting reports - should I feed him once a day, more than once a day when he lays on his dish, every other day?? The most prevalent answer seems to be “as much as he can eat in 20 minutes”. That’s tricky because he eats quickly and can down a half cup of green stuff in a flash! What is best for him?

6E77CA9B-EDF8-4611-BACA-9C7EAAECF355.jpeg E3C5B036-240C-4196-933A-8808FC823CD5.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello from Virginia! I have a 3 (?) year old Russian Tortoise named Bentley. I’m in wheelchair and Bentley is the name of a fierce tortoise in a wheelchair in a video game my kids played - so his name was obvious!! I want to say thanks to the forum in general - you answered all my questions as I researched before I got him and have also answered all my panicked “new Mom” worries as we are getting to know each other! I’ve never owned a reptile before and I’m excited at how much personality and spunk he has!

I do have a quick question: He will eat me out of house and Home if I let him. I’ve read conflicting reports - should I feed him once a day, more than once a day when he lays on his dish, every other day?? The most prevalent answer seems to be “as much as he can eat in 20 minutes”. That’s tricky because he eats quickly and can down a half cup of green stuff in a flash! What is best for him?
Sorry I can't answer your question, but both Bentley's are adorable!

daniellenc

Maryland
I just always make sure there’s greens available 24 hours a day. They’re grazers so they tend to eat off and on throughout the day. Mine is out at 6am eating his leftover dinner from the night before. I change it out, go to work, and refill again after his evening soak. He eats his size in greens a day easily so I offer pretty large portions.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I thought Bentley was a cool name for a tortoise before I even fully read your post of how you picked it! I fill my Redfoots dish once in the morning, and once in the evening around 5ish. He eats His whole breakfast and about half of his dinner each night, then sneaks out in the morning and eats the rest before I put in more. This might be overkill but it's worked for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Bentley is probably over 10 years of age. Pet stores think because the tortoise is small (Russian tortoises are a small species) that it must be young.

The way I judge the amount of food: If there is food left over at the end of the day I gave him enough. If he eats it all and there is no food left over, I didn't give him enough.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! Russians walk and eat a lot; my outdoor very active tortoise gets to eat all day.

I’m not sure what exactly is in your half cup but my tortoise eats much more than that!

It looks like you are feeding apple in your picture? That’s not a good for for a Russian tortoise due to the high amount of sugars. Have you read our Russian care sheet? Much of the info you get from pet stores or online is out of date. It’s hard to figure out what’s “correct,” as you’ve already noticed. We’re more up to date here; people don’t always agree 100% but our advice comes from people with many years of owning tortoises.

It’s a long read, but worthwhile. The food section is near the bottom: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/.

Jerandemsmom

Virginia
It looks like you are feeding apple in your picture? That’s not a good for for a Russian tortoise due to the high amount of sugars. Have you read our Russian care sheet?

Yes, I have read the care sheet and found it extremely helpful. That is, however, my point about conflicting info. Most food guides say fruit given sparingly. That was his first day in our home, and I’ve since decided not to give him fruit - why give him anything not 100% good for him!? I feed him a “heaping food bowl” of dark mixed greens (Kale is his favorite) red cabbage and often things from my yard like clover and dandelion and other plants from your list. So I think I’ve got the “what” but I’m no closer to the “how much”. Even the answers on this thread run the gamut. It would seem Bentley and I will just need to figure out what works best for us...I just really want to ensure I do what is best.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
It looks like you are feeding apple in your picture? That’s not a good for for a Russian tortoise due to the high amount of sugars. Have you read our Russian care sheet?

Yes, I have read the care sheet and found it extremely helpful. That is, however, my point about conflicting info. Most food guides say fruit given sparingly. That was his first day in our home, and I’ve since decided not to give him fruit - why give him anything not 100% good for him!? I feed him a “heaping food bowl” of dark mixed greens (Kale is his favorite) red cabbage and often things from my yard like clover and dandelion and other plants from your list. So I think I’ve got the “what” but I’m no closer to the “how much”. Even the answers on this thread run the gamut. It would seem Bentley and I will just need to figure out what works best for us...I just really want to ensure I do what is best.

Hello and welcome from Texas. I can’t tell you the amount of food to give, he needs A LOT of stuff to graze on. I keep different species (Redfooted) and they are different, but I agree with Yvonne, if they swipe it all off, they need more. Mine are 3 yrs old and have constant access to food and fresh water. I’d put a pile of greens size of Bentley’s shell and see how long it takes him to finish it. That should be a good starting point. I also do not believe you can overfeed a grazing tortoise. They consume huge amounts of fiber. As long as we give them whet they should be eating, they can not overeat before they feel satisfied. That’s my opinion.

Jerandemsmom

Virginia
[
I also do not believe you can overfeed a grazing tortoise. They consume huge amounts of fiber. As long as we give them whet they should be eating, they can not overeat before they feel satisfied. That’s my opinion.[/QUOTE]

That was what I thought - he can’t overeat. But many people on this forum said that since he is a grazer he is hardwired to eat whenever he sees food and can become dangerously overweight. So now I’m worried about too much or too little. I have been feeding him lots more in the morning and now there is always a bit left over - so maybe I’ve struck the correct balance.