Meet michaelangelo

Joshane

Location (City and/or State)
berkshire
Hi guys meet muchaelangelo my new baby marginated tortoise. 9 months old, pretty cute this is first time I've got a pet like this so I'm falling in love as he likes his chin neck being rubbed.

Attachments

• 20220619_122049.jpg
    20220619_122049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow, what kind of light? That actually hurt MY eyes to look at the pic!

At least I finally found someone that takes worse pics than me, course it appears that I had to cross the pond to find them! LOL

Welcome to the club......

Do yourself a favor, some guys will be helping you with MA's home and food......., LISTEN to them, these guys are Aces, really talented folks if you listen to them!

Good luck and read the care sheets at the top of each folder.....really good stuff!

jeff

Joshane

berkshire
Wow, what kind of light? That actually hurt MY eyes to look at the pic!

At least I finally found someone that takes worse pics than me, course it appears that I had to cross the pond to find them! LOL

Welcome to the club......

Do yourself a favor, some guys will be helping you with MA's home and food......., LISTEN to them, these guys are Aces, really talented folks if you listen to them!

Good luck and read the care sheets at the top of each folder.....really good stuff!

jeff
Thanks. Yeah the light is an arcadia d3 lamp. I do take bad photos LOL And I've been on the forums reading advice from others I just never signed up until I bought my tortoise. At moment I'm having trouble finding things in my garden for him to eat, mostly.eats grass, dandelions and I feed him pellets with bit of lettuce but I'm not so sure if pellets are great as of course fresh food is best but because of work and how my lifestyle is I find it easier to feed pellets...Am I a bad owner ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some pellets aren't bad if it's a small part of a varied diet. What kind are you feeding. Mazuri is the better of them all. Still should be a small part of the diet. If you have too, include grocery greens. Better then a diet that is mostly pellets.

Joshane

berkshire
Some pellets aren't bad if it's a small part of a varied diet. What kind are you feeding. Mazuri is the better of them all. Still should be a small part of the diet. If you have too, include grocery greens. Better then a diet that is mostly pellets.
Using komodo pellets

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum. Please let us have details of your setup and conditions and post some pictures.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum! Michaelangelo is a cutie!

Joshane

berkshire
Here's my tortoise set up

Attachments

• 20220621_062406.jpg
    20220621_062406.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
... At moment I'm having trouble finding things in my garden for him to eat, mostly.eats grass, dandelions and I feed him pellets with bit of lettuce ...
As an avid gardener, I was all for eliminating plants that are traditionally termed 'weeds' by gardening enthusiasts. Now? lawn clover, dandelions, sow thistle, plantain, evening primrose, and violas are all welcome to take over my lawn as much as they want! Try to gather seed heads from weeds you see and actively encourage them in a section of your garden. Put aside part of a flower bed and then research plants/weeds that tortoises feed on. "The tortoise table" is a comprehensive collection of information, but don't hesitate to do research elsewhere, too... there's a lot of conflicting info about feeding tortoises, but if you get more than two locations telling you *name plant* is toxic - believe it.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Sorry to say it but it looks like you've been given the same old bad advice that most of us in the UK have. Pets shops some breeders and even some vets know very little about tort care and pet shops are happy to sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment for profit.
The substrate is too dry, the steep sides of the water dish could be a tipping and drowning hazard, and the all in one heat light and uvb lamps have been found to damage tort shells so aren't recommended anymore, and the coiled cfl types have been known to damage tort eyes.
This is the most up to date caresheet you need which will help make the changes your tort needs to be safe and thrive.
Please read that and ask as many questions as you like.

Most of use cheap terracotta plant saucers for water etc because with gently outward sloping sides and good traction, when they are sunk level with the substrate they are much easier and safer for little torts to access and exit.

The caresheet gives diet advice but you'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk a good guide to finding good and safe foods.

Joshane

berkshire
It's amazing how hard it is to get valuable advice thank you all. I bought michaelangelo from thetortoiseshop.co.uk and when speaking to them they told me they have found no issues in using aspen bedding. I will look into making adjustments. I find that a lot of people on YouTube use top soil. I might look into that. But I'll look into the other suggestions too and maybe mix them up if it's possible to do so.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's amazing how hard it is to get valuable advice thank you all. I bought michaelangelo from thetortoiseshop.co.uk and when speaking to them they told me they have found no issues in using aspen bedding. I will look into making adjustments. I find that a lot of people on YouTube use top soil. I might look into that. But I'll look into the other suggestions too and maybe mix them up if it's possible to do so.
No to topsoil.