Meet Mole! (Plus a question about winter activity levels)

MossCrossing

Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, Washington
Well I've had him for a few months, but between college and trying to get everything perfect for him I never got a round to introducing him to the forum. His name Is Mole 'cause he digs holes. Attached are several pictures of him as well as a (rather mediocre) picture of his tort table I built from an old bed-frame. I love him to death! IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0827.JPG IMG_0754.JPG

I was also wondering what to expect for his activity level during the winter? Ever since winter showed up he won't even wake up unless I dig him up. Been giving him a daily warm bath every morning and feeding him afterwards and then he usually goes right back into his burrow box/humid hide and sleeps until I wake him up the next day.
Lights are on 14 hours a day, temps follow: 95F-100F at basking spot, 70F at cool end during the day. I put a CHE over the entrance to his burrow box in an attempt to get him warmed up and more active in the morning (on same timer as lights, keeps burrow 73F-75F) no success thus far. It gets about 65F at night. Maybe lower on cold nights but no lower than 60F.
He's my first tort, so I guess I'm just not sure if I should be worried?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From the look in the pic of the enclousre, I think it's too dark. Add another light, just a regular bulb or two and he might be more interested in waking up. Also, the cool end for day time, I would raise that to about 75 that may help him to want to stay awake too.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Agreed. Brighten it up and dig him up everyday for a watm soak. This worked for my russian and after about a month she is active again.

MossCrossing

Olympia, Washington
Oh good. I'm planning on replacing my current fluorescent strip light (20inch t-5) with a 46inch HO t-5 from lightyourreptiles, with one of those fancy arcadia bulbs :) So that works out perfectly.
Unfortunately I won't be able to afford it until the beginning of next month.. So I'll have to see what house lamps I can scrap up in the meantime.

MossCrossing

Olympia, Washington
Is there any harm in letting him sleep this much as long as I get him fed and hydrated everyday after I wake him up? I just ask because so far my attempts to increase the lighting have not yielded great results, and as I mentioned I won't be able to get that 46inch T-5 from lightyourreptiles until the beginning of next month