Meet my Ctenosaura melonsterna, Honduran/ Black-Chested Spiny Tailed Iguanas

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom asked me to share some pictures of my yearlings. Unfortunately, as one of the fastest iguanas in the world photo-ops are limited and potentially dangerous. These are little Velociraptor flight risks! I had one escape for a week once while trying to take pictures for a potential buyer. I mixed in some older pictures of them as well to show them off better. The flashy blues they fire-up to come and go as they develop I've noticed.

Ctenosauara melanosterna are a rare endangered species of Iguana that are primarily insectivorous as juveniles to one year, transitioning over that time to more greens/fruit/veggies. Similar to tortoises they thrive best off weeds, tree leaves like mulberry, etc. but they can also have fruits/veggies. Mine only get insects via tongs and are little fiends if they see you coming or hear that clinking sound. They will also take flowers & foods from my hands. Often they jump on the doors and me in excitement for bugs, causing a bit of anxiety about impending escape as I house them outdoors 24/7 this time of year. I plan to build a permanent outdoor enclosure I can walk in and sit with them soon which will help with bonding and allow me to interact with them more. They will need heated hides or to be brought indoors in the cold of winter, but winter is short here. They are smaller than a Rhino, males reach 36" (total length nose to tail), and can fit in one hand, and females closer to 24" Ty Park has referred to them as a mini-Cyclura in the past. They get bulky and gorgeous, a very dinosaur-esque look, and the most appealing to me of the Ctenosaura, an Iguana should have a dewlap I think! They're just starting to get more adult colors. Eventually they will have more stark contrasts of white/black and fire up turquoise/white.

They are a fun species, highly intelligent, recognize their keeper, and just an absolute blast to work with. They are very curious, and always watch everything I do intently. I do not forcibly hold them, but will lead them onto my hand with a roach reward at the end of the tongs. If they are really hungry they will perform a flying leap to yank it off the tongs, hanging there like loons before I put out my hand to support them; they can be characters. It's August and they are officially a year old now. I started with a group of 7 from two sources, and have whittled the group of keepers down to 4 (2.2). I still had hoped to rehome my 2nd female Cherry as right now I'm leaning towards keeping them as pets versus breeding. I've read of females laying up to 32 eggs per clutch (and double clutches in a year are possible). They are not a well known species and selling to people is aggravating in general so I'm carefully considering if I want to deal with all that. I do think they get less love than other Ctenosaura who don't get much love at all to begin with. I'm prejudiced, these are the best. There are only a handful of people I know of in the U.S. who work with the melanosterna and have adult pairs.

These are the most territorial and aggressive (toward each other) of all the Ctenosaura species. Long term keepers have stories of them killing each other, or eating a leg, even in large spacious enclosures, even after 10 years as a happily mated pair. It is a species you must always be prepared to separate. My research indicates most aggression is observed after egg-laying and initiated by angry females. Females are also unlikely to accept weak, small, or younger males and attack them. Kelly Paul still lists melanosterna as one of his top picks within the genus that make the best pets, they just require more work than say a pectinata.

This is Lucifer, probed Male.

2lucifer 8.8.22.jpg

1lucifer 8.8.22.jpg

This is Godzilla, probed Male. First two photos are from today, others are him about 6mos of age showing off lots of blues. He was the bravest of 7 early on, grew the largest and was obviously a male from the start. He is a little more shy now, and requires I move slowly for him to trust me. He is a stout, bulky guy and my favorite male appearance-wise, but Lucifer is friendlier.

4Godzilla 8.8.22.jpg
1Godzilla 8.8.22.jpg

Godzilla about 4-6mos old
CMmale.jpg
CMmale1.jpg

Blue before her busted lip, no filter. When you catch that color coming through it's just incredible. She is more turquoise than anyone else. Picture taken indoors through glass. Maybe 4mos here.

pink3.jpg

Does anyone else keep any Ctenosaura species? I'm obsessed with mine and would love to see and hear about yours!!

Attachments

• lucifer 8.8.22.jpg
    lucifer 8.8.22.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Finally! I've been waiting for this... They are gorgeous, and your passion for them is infectious!

I love the outdoor housing aspect and would like to see more about how you are doing that. I'm always looking for inspiration.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The differences between that and the common Green Iguanas we have running around here is pretty obvious.
I haven't seen one of those living wild here yet.
I wonder if they're here

Southern California
Finally! I've been waiting for this... They are gorgeous, and your passion for them is infectious!

I love the outdoor housing aspect and would like to see more about how you are doing that. I'm always looking for inspiration.
Thank you!!

One pair is in the original enclosure, a Med X-Tall Exoterra screen cage (24"x18"x36") with tray. The others were put into a modified Husky tool cart enclosure I made after deciding the 4' tall screen cage I ordered was too tall for a good basking distance. Initially I had two groups, of 4 and 3 housed with the others from the same breeder. Now each houses 1.1.

They are SMALL at 6wks. The hard part with that Exoterra cage when they are teeny is being careful when moving it as they like to rest on the black plastic to warm up early morning, or hide under the lip of it from sun. The bottom does move and doesn't always sit perfectly flush. I was always terrified they would escape through the bottom or get squished.

I trucked them in and out daily for their first 6+ months. In summer/fall that meant outdoors over 12 hours a day, in winter they started the day with lights and were put outside after already warmed up, & brought in earlier. Cold days they stayed under basking lights indoors. I do not supplement UVB. They moved outdoors full time overnight around late April/May. They are close to the house so it is a more protected microclimate. I have the privilege of being home most the day so I usually spin the enclosures around for optimal sun/shade and they get sprayed/hosed down at least once to increase humidity, usually morning. On hot days like today I do it again midday when everyone is in hiding; the tortoises and iguanas both come out after this cool off. I've played with fake plants in there on and off for added shade/cover, but they like to burrow in the topsoil substrate and hide low generally. I can't wait to give them live plants in their permanent enclosure, which I am still working out ideas for.

This is the cart I converted when I first finished it. This was before minor tweaks like bigger bowls and a flat bark for basking on/burrowing under. 3rd picture for scale of iguana v. enclosure.
husky cart 2.jpg

cart conversion.jpg
cart3.jpg

The Exoterra has a foot of unused headspace and they still climb the walls on oaccasion, but primarily spend their time on the basking bark. Angled bark/wood facing the sun is their favorite place to be

exoterra.jpg

An old baby picture, because BABIES!!! They love to bask.

242237523_4250888335029352_3001915608584217874_n.jpg

Southern California
The differences between that and the common Green Iguanas we have running around here is pretty obvious.
I haven't seen one of those living wild here yet.
I wonder if they're here
I've only heard of the Ctenosaura similis being there. That's the fastest iguana there is and they are closer in size to a green iguana. Pretty damn mean 99% of the time too, lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!!

One pair is in the original enclosure, a Med X-Tall Exoterra screen cage (24"x18"x36") with tray. The others were put into a modified Husky tool cart enclosure I made after deciding the 4' tall screen cage I ordered was too tall for a good basking distance. Initially I had two groups, of 4 and 3 housed with the others from the same breeder. Now each houses 1.1.

They are SMALL at 6wks. The hard part with that Exoterra cage when they are teeny is being careful when moving it as they like to rest on the black plastic to warm up early morning, or hide under the lip of it from sun. The bottom does move and doesn't always sit perfectly flush. I was always terrified they would escape through the bottom or get squished.

I trucked them in and out daily for their first 6+ months. In summer/fall that meant outdoors over 12 hours a day, in winter they started the day with lights and were put outside after already warmed up, & brought in earlier. Cold days they stayed under basking lights indoors. I do not supplement UVB. They moved outdoors full time overnight around late April/May. They are close to the house so it is a more protected microclimate. I have the privilege of being home most the day so I usually spin the enclosures around for optimal sun/shade and they get sprayed/hosed down at least once to increase humidity, usually morning. On hot days like today I do it again midday when everyone is in hiding; the tortoises and iguanas both come out after this cool off. I've played with fake plants in there on and off for added shade/cover, but they like to burrow in the topsoil substrate and hide low generally. I can't wait to give them live plants in their permanent enclosure, which I am still working out ideas for.

This is the cart I converted when I first finished it. This was before minor tweaks like bigger bowls and a flat bark for basking on/burrowing under. 3rd picture for scale of iguana v. enclosure.
View attachment 348528

View attachment 348525
View attachment 348532

The Exoterra has a foot of unused headspace and they still climb the walls on oaccasion, but primarily spend their time on the basking bark. Angled bark/wood facing the sun is their favorite place to be

View attachment 348533

An old baby picture, because BABIES!!! They love to bask.

View attachment 348535
This is genius. And this care info in invaluable for anyone contemplating this species. I think you have set a terrific example to follow. Thank you for the pics and explanation.

I had pectinata in the past. Wild caught. I'm on the waiting list with a breeder here for a banana pectinata, but you make a strong case for malanosterna. More investigation is now needed. And funny you mentioned Rhino's because I'm waiting for one of those too. They seem 50/50 on tameness.

Southern California
This is genius. And this care info in invaluable for anyone contemplating this species. I think you have set a terrific example to follow. Thank you for the pics and explanation.

I had pectinata in the past. Wild caught. I'm on the waiting list with a breeder here for a banana pectinata, but you make a strong case for malanosterna. More investigation is now needed. And funny you mentioned Rhino's because I'm waiting for one of those too. They seem 50/50 on tameness.
I always hesitate to share, so thanks for being so kind! I highly recommend them. I have been enamored since they arrived. Earning their trust little by little was so rewarding. I just sat by them for hours as babies. I know Bananas are tame generally from the egg. I almost got one for that reason, but I needed a dinosaur!! The melanosterna are so beautiful.

It's definitely hard to find information on raising them. What's available is limited. There is a Cyclura & Ctenosaura FB group where I got most of my intel. Rhinos are super popular, but I've heard stories about them being hormonal and aggressive. I like that the Ctenosaura are smaller, plus they are uniquely suited to our climate in my opinion (I understand yours is similar to mine: hot, dry, lots of sun). I wanted something that would thrive outdoors here. If you find/have read Kelly Paul's old Reptile Magazine article he has his adult pair pictured at the top, & a little clearer version if you scroll down just a bit. He keeps his outdoor year-round in AZ. Very reasonable, manageable sizes for these guys.

I do want to correct myself though, I shouldn't say they burrow as much as they like to dig just enough to carve out a space to hide under things. They love to be under the food bowls, under cork bark, etc. when sleeping or hiding. I keep a piece of bark on the substrate at maybe a 10 degree angle in the homemade enclosure and that is a favorite spot. I must have had tortoises on the brain, burrow was not the right description!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Strangely enough, I once had a similis for about a year. Name was Prickle. Got called by a vet who was given him from a guy who got him at the Wharf running loose! I totally loved him. He escaped and I lost him forever. I was shattered.