Meet our new baby Thaqa! *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragnikla

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
owings mills, MD
[size=small]

Well the wait is over. As of this morning we have a new member of the family. She is one of Richard Fife's sulcatas between 1 and 4 months old and she still has her egg tooth. (so adorable). She wouldn't eat today I think she was too busy exploring. she took a bite but didn't feel like sitting still to chew. (its much easier to spit it out and go play.)

Unfortunately our air conditioning isn't working and they can't come to look at it until next week, so between 1pm and 6pm the room temperature was 101 degrees which put her enclosure range from 91 to 108 degrees. So we took her downstairs where it was cooler with the rest of us who were trying not to move or breathe. there also was a water main break on our street so we have no water but luckily i had already filled her spray bottle and could use that water for soaking.

When I got home at 5:30 she was behind her aquarium as if she was trying to find the coolest spot. (that is farthest from her heat lamp) She had fallen asleep (or passed out), but when I took her downstairs and soaked her she got revived and started exploring again. She spent most of the day out of her bed, but she really wanted to get back in. When I finally put her back in she went and soaked in her water, then climbed out and only made it to the top step before she fell asleep. I had to wake her up so she could mozy her way into one of her hides. She has been sleeping in there ever since, with her little butt facing the world.

She is already trying to bulldoze things that are 10 times her size like the video camera and the box she came in. She also has stolen our cats heart. upon first meeting her, he rubbed his face against her face until she was covered in fur. Not once did she retract into her shell. she is very bold, and inquisitive. She also really loves watching the fish swim in the fish tank. I put frog moss around her water bowl to try to keep it cleaner, but she just scrapes along and drags all the dirt with her, then starts digging, and pushes it in. moss or no she flings her substrate. (think, dog burying a bone)

She has also managed to flip herself over 5 times in 3 minutes on flat ground. She seems to do better on inclines. twice she has fallen into her water dish. (by diving in on the sides instead of taking the stairs) the first time i freaked and picked her up. the second time i watched her, it only took her 7 seconds to flip back over. She learns really quickly and can now flip herself back over if she has rocks, plants, a towel, twigs or any rough substrate to push and scrape against. the water level was too low even on her back for her to stick her nose in so i wasn't too worried, but she stretched her little body out put her legs on the steps and swung herself around until she flipped over. she really did look like a little ninja. and she was so proud of herself afterwards.

I know you all have been waiting patiently so without further ado. The pictures

e0g5ee.jpg

2djq5c2.jpg

2vlk0gn.jpg

5cdchx.jpg

2mgv5a8.jpg

wmgqol.jpg

Accident waiting to happen

zvq8hg.jpg

taking the bridge
1zeummt.jpg

2wq4yuw.jpg

30m7n2o.jpg

15qsq6e.jpg

x3sht3.jpg

30hskm9.jpg

2rp3fia.jpg

2cijub4.jpg

yawning
r9ke2q.jpg

2hi2fbo.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very nice. Since you bought from Richard, I'm sure you know all about the shell spraying, humidity and humid hides. I love seeing them with perfect shells lie that. In five years we'll all have a bunch of smooth shells to show off.

If I were you, I'd shut off any additional heat when room temps start to climb into the high 80's 0r 90's.

Good luck with her and please keep posting pics. "She" acts very male. Can you post pics of her anal scutes and tail? Its much too early to know for sure, but its fun to speculate and guess. I've been doing pretty good with guessing the sex on babies recently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Crystal:

You've built a really nice place for your new baby to live. And she's adorable!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, what a cutie! Totally adorable, and what a big personality!

Looks like you have your work cut out for you, just keeping her out of trouble.

Congratulations, and may your air conditioning and water return soon. :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She is so very adorable! For some reason, I see a future "Bob" personality sulcata.:D

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Is that a Sulcata care packet on top the enclosure? Is that Isaac's picture I see on the cover?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Rhyno47 said:
Is that a Sulcata care packet on top the enclosure? Is that Isaac's picture I see on the cover?

Haha. I noticed that too.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would let her settle in and get comfortable so she eats. dont handle her too much at first and make sure she stays in her enclosure and not all over the house. also wathc the depth of the water, if she falls in and cant get out fast enough.. she could drown.
have fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.