Meet Stella the Sulcata

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
She was soaked 3-4 times today at 20-30 minutes each time. I think her scar looks much better, which makes me believe she probably wasn’t soaked much, if at all prior to us getting her. She was soaked about the same amount yesterday as well. What do y’all think? IMG_1040.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
She was soaked 3-4 times today at 20-30 minutes each time. I think her scar looks much better, which makes me believe she probably wasn’t soaked much, if at all prior to us getting her. She was soaked about the same amount yesterday as well. What do y’all think? View attachment 243140
Beautiful. Looks much better.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Beautiful. Looks much better.

I agree! She’s doing great, getting soaked multiple times a day and I just came in from work and she was enjoying some fresh cut cactus. Her early diet is going to be so much more diverse than Spur’s was when we lived in Alaska.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I agree! She’s doing great, getting soaked multiple times a day and I just came in from work and she was enjoying some fresh cut cactus. Her early diet is going to be so much more diverse than Spur’s was when we lived in Alaska.
That is great. How on earth did you get variety in Alaska? Isn't it under snow for 90% of the time?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
That is great. How on earth did you get variety in Alaska? Isn't it under snow for 90% of the time?

It wasn’t easy, shopping at every grocery store that was fairly close and online orders lol We had about 5 months of no snow [emoji41]

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Y’all didn’t by any chance get them from a guy in Athens Tx did you?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Y’all didn’t by any chance get them from a guy in Athens Tx did you?

What’s his name? I got the big one from a breeder in Las Vegas when we lived in Alaska and we just got the small one at a reptile show in Longview. Is that where you got yours? What part of east Texas are you from?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
What’s his name? I got the big one from a breeder in Las Vegas when we lived in Alaska and we just got the small one at a reptile show in Longview. Is that where you got yours? What part of east Texas are you from?
I live in Marshall. They sell the Sulcatas at the pet store on longview but I found a guy on Craigslist. I was told the breeder was in oklahoma. I was not near as educated on the torts as I am now but I thought an individual would be a better choice. I’m pretty sure mine were started dry in hindsight. They were very small too.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I live in Marshall. They sell the Sulcatas at the pet store on longview but I found a guy on Craigslist. I was told the breeder was in oklahoma. I was not near as educated on the torts as I am now but I thought an individual would be a better choice. I’m pretty sure mine were started dry in hindsight. They were very small too.

That’s awesome, I’m originally from Hallsville and graduated from ETBU as well.

Are you talking about wet pets n critters?

I don’t think the majority of us had the knowledge we really needed but this site has been a huge benefit to all of us on learning from others experiences and mistakes to better care for our tortoises.

They may be small but with the proper care they’ll grow into bull dozers soon enough ;) our 18 month old is growing like a weed, every since “he” hit about the 12 month mark, he’s been packing on the size like crazy. He’ll be 5 lbs before too long.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
That’s awesome, I’m originally from Hallsville and graduated from ETBU as well.

Are you talking about wet pets n critters?

I don’t think the majority of us had the knowledge we really needed but this site has been a huge benefit to all of us on learning from others experiences and mistakes to better care for our tortoises.

They may be small but with the proper care they’ll grow into bull dozers soon enough ;) our 18 month old is growing like a weed, every since “he” hit about the 12 month mark, he’s been packing on the size like crazy. He’ll be 5 lbs before too long.
Yes.. wet pets in critters is the one:) my daughter is looking hard at ETBU... she was very impressed with her tour. Mine are definately gaining and growing and seem to be normal in every way... other than size to age ratio.. I’m learning a lot.. starting with turtles, then building enclosures, horticulture... the list seems endless.. lol

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Weight Update.

6/24/18: 32g
7/5/18: 44g

I feel like she’s growing good. As much as she’s grown in weight and with her new growth lines in the small amount of time that I’ve had her, I’m definitely convinced she was only a few days old at that sale.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Monthly Update

8/5/18: 65g

She eats everything in sight. When I put her outside with Spur (under parental supervision) she always nibbles at his legs and chase him! He tucks tail and runs. I think she has a case of little man syndrome lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Monthly Update

8/5/18: 65g

She eats everything in sight. When I put her outside with Spur (under parental supervision) she always nibbles at his legs and chase him! He tucks tail and runs. I think she has a case of little man syndrome lol
You guys have done great! You got one of the survivors and this story will have a happy ending!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
You guys have done great! You got one of the survivors and this story will have a happy ending!

Thanks Mr. Tom, it was definitely a lesson learned. Hopefully she’ll keep moving on the right direction!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas

Thought I would share this to show how unfazed she is by Spur. It’s probably just because she’s a baby or is she bullying? She always goes straight for him and does this? Once she’s done she’ll go about her business and Spur will steadily follow behind her. They are only together like this once or twice a month and only for 10-15 minutes while I’m with them.