Meet Thomas G. Voldetort Shellington the First!

ShellingtonTheFirst

Location (City and/or State)
London
He’s a four year old male Greek who I took on about a month ago with little to no knowledge of tortoises, and I would like to think I’ve researched LOADS since then. Still, I’m going to post some details of his husbandry, and hopefully the lovely members here can point me in the right direction, give me tips and whatnot!

Thomas came to us in a 3ftx1ft viv of which I noticed immediately was far too small for him. He’s 8 inches long by 5 inches wide and spends a good portion of his mornings climbing the walls, presumably because he has no space to wander… but fear not! I’ve shelled out almost £500 having a custom 6ftx4ft vivarium made for him (a table isn’t an option considering I own cats!) that will be arriving in just over three weeks now!

I aim to keep his basking area at around 37c, and his cool end hovering around 24c. Lights and heat on for 12 hours a day. At night time, I lower his temps anywhere from 18c-21c, but aim for around 19c. I try to keep his humidity at 40-60%.

I’m soaking him for 20 minutes in warm water every other day, and notice he also soaks himself in his water dish for short periods of time.

I’ve read some conflicting information on calcium/vitamin powder and have been using a pinch of Nutrical on his food every other day up until recent, but think I’m going to change it to once a week. He has a cuttlebone in his viv as well as a ‘tortoise block’ that I’ve never seen him use.

He’s fed fresh forage once a day that I have delivered from someone in the country side who grows tortoise safe weeds, but on the odd couple of occasions I’ve had to feed him store brought produce, I give him spring greens, a bit of pak choy, brussel sprout leaves, a little bit of Romaine lettuce and a thin slice of cucumber or courgette as a treat. When his new enclosure comes I’m going to plant some tortoise safe plants in there to allow him to graze naturally when he so chooses.

One thing I’ve noticed about Shelly is that I’ve only seen him poop and pee ONCE in the entire month I’ve had him, which was when I had him on the floor while cleaning out his viv when he first arrived (I know, not ideal.) I spot clean and moisten his viv every day (coco coir as a substrate that I’m going to start to mix with orchard bark when his new viv arrives.) I’ve read they can eat their poo, and that if they’re well hydrated their pee is clear, which I hope is the case, because I haven’t seen anything for a month now! Otherwise, he seems healthy, despite some minor pyramiding (that he already had when he arrived!) and being a bit stressed out because of his current small enclosure.

So, TF… how am I doing as a new tortie owner? Any pointers or advice specific to Greeks? Thank you very much in advance! It’s great to be here!

- Jade & Shelly

Attachments

• F6475B9F-62F1-45CA-924E-935DA8E2653D.jpeg
    F6475B9F-62F1-45CA-924E-935DA8E2653D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum. However, even the 6 x 4 foot vivarium that you ordered is going to be too small. You will probably continue to have issues with him having constipation and stress. This is my opinion for what it may be worth, but others here may offer their more valuable advice. I am not an expert.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s a four year old male Greek who I took on about a month ago with little to no knowledge of tortoises, and I would like to think I’ve researched LOADS since then. Still, I’m going to post some details of his husbandry, and hopefully the lovely members here can point me in the right direction, give me tips and whatnot!

Thomas came to us in a 3ftx1ft viv of which I noticed immediately was far too small for him. He’s 8 inches long by 5 inches wide and spends a good portion of his mornings climbing the walls, presumably because he has no space to wander… but fear not! I’ve shelled out almost £500 having a custom 6ftx4ft vivarium made for him (a table isn’t an option considering I own cats!) that will be arriving in just over three weeks now!

I aim to keep his basking area at around 37c, and his cool end hovering around 24c. Lights and heat on for 12 hours a day. At night time, I lower his temps anywhere from 18c-21c, but aim for around 19c. I try to keep his humidity at 40-60%.

I’m soaking him for 20 minutes in warm water every other day, and notice he also soaks himself in his water dish for short periods of time.

I’ve read some conflicting information on calcium/vitamin powder and have been using a pinch of Nutrical on his food every other day up until recent, but think I’m going to change it to once a week. He has a cuttlebone in his viv as well as a ‘tortoise block’ that I’ve never seen him use.

He’s fed fresh forage once a day that I have delivered from someone in the country side who grows tortoise safe weeds, but on the odd couple of occasions I’ve had to feed him store brought produce, I give him spring greens, a bit of pak choy, brussel sprout leaves, a little bit of Romaine lettuce and a thin slice of cucumber or courgette as a treat. When his new enclosure comes I’m going to plant some tortoise safe plants in there to allow him to graze naturally when he so chooses.

One thing I’ve noticed about Shelly is that I’ve only seen him poop and pee ONCE in the entire month I’ve had him, which was when I had him on the floor while cleaning out his viv when he first arrived (I know, not ideal.) I spot clean and moisten his viv every day (coco coir as a substrate that I’m going to start to mix with orchard bark when his new viv arrives.) I’ve read they can eat their poo, and that if they’re well hydrated their pee is clear, which I hope is the case, because I haven’t seen anything for a month now! Otherwise, he seems healthy, despite some minor pyramiding (that he already had when he arrived!) and being a bit stressed out because of his current small enclosure.

So, TF… how am I doing as a new tortie owner? Any pointers or advice specific to Greeks? Thank you very much in advance! It’s great to be here!

- Jade & Shelly
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you've got the right idea on just about everything. 6x4 feet is worlds better than what he was in, but its still on the small side. I recommend a minimum of 4x8 feet indoors, and much larger outdoors for fair weather. Don't let anyone tell you that there is something wrong with vivariums. These are a vastly superior housing method for many reasons, and those who say otherwise are ignorant. There are many myths like this one perpetuated by people who don't know better. I think almost all of these people mean well, but they don't understand what they are talking about because they don't have the depth of experience housing tortoises multiple ways over many years. With rare exception, almost everyone who argues this with me read the info about using tortoise table only on the internet, or they were taught this info by some breeder or pet store "expert", and they have never even tried using a vivarium. Same with glass tanks for baby tortoises. Totally fine. The "invisible barrier" doesn't stress them or cause any problem. That is a myth too.

The lack of poop is odd. They usually relieve themselves in the soaking water. Him heating it is a possibility. If your coir is not packed firmly, it could be getting lost in the substrate.

Country forage, weeds, is the best diet you could do. That is excellent. A+ to you for sourcing that on a regular basis. In winter, when you must use grocery store produce, add in cilantro, arugula (rocket), and other greens to the rotation. Kale, spinach and collards are okay once in a while, as are turnip, and mustard greens. To these grocery store greens, add some soaked horse hay pellets for fiber, and ZooMed make a "Flower Topper" that you can probably get over there. Start with just one single little horse hay pellet and add more over time.

For a grown adult like this, calcium should only be needed in small amounts once or twice a week. I've never seen any tortoise eat those calcium blocks, but most will nibble in a cuttle bone if you leave it in there long enough. Due to your tortoise's EXCELLENT weedy calcium rich diet, I'm not surprised that additional calcium sources are ignored. This may change in winter when you are using more grocery store greens.

Clear urine is normal for a well hydrated tortoise like this.

The only pyramiding on this tortoise was when it was first growing as a tiny baby, and someone corrected the problem early on. The new growth looks excellent. This is likely due to being contained in a vivarium, even if it was too small.

I don't like your water bowl. That could be dangerous for your tortoise. I prefer to use terra cotta saucers suk into the substrate. These have low sides and offer good traction when wet.

It sounds to me like you are doing an excellent job there. Here is more info, in case you haven't seen this yet:

Questions, pictures and conversation are welcome.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you've got the right idea on just about everything. 6x4 feet is worlds better than what he was in, but its still on the small side. I recommend a minimum of 4x8 feet indoors, and much larger outdoors for fair weather. Don't let anyone tell you that there is something wrong with vivariums. These are a vastly superior housing method for many reasons, and those who say otherwise are ignorant. There are many myths like this one perpetuated by people who don't know better. I think almost all of these people mean well, but they don't understand what they are talking about because they don't have the depth of experience housing tortoises multiple ways over many years. With rare exception, almost everyone who argues this with me read the info about using tortoise table only on the internet, or they were taught this info by some breeder or pet store "expert", and they have never even tried using a vivarium. Same with glass tanks for baby tortoises. Totally fine. The "invisible barrier" doesn't stress them or cause any problem. That is a myth too.

The lack of poop is odd. They usually relieve themselves in the soaking water. Him heating it is a possibility. If your coir is not packed firmly, it could be getting lost in the substrate.

Country forage, weeds, is the best diet you could do. That is excellent. A+ to you for sourcing that on a regular basis. In winter, when you must use grocery store produce, add in cilantro, arugula (rocket), and other greens to the rotation. Kale, spinach and collards are okay once in a while, as are turnip, and mustard greens. To these grocery store greens, add some soaked horse hay pellets for fiber, and ZooMed make a "Flower Topper" that you can probably get over there. Start with just one single little horse hay pellet and add more over time.

For a grown adult like this, calcium should only be needed in small amounts once or twice a week. I've never seen any tortoise eat those calcium blocks, but most will nibble in a cuttle bone if you leave it in there long enough. Due to your tortoise's EXCELLENT weedy calcium rich diet, I'm not surprised that additional calcium sources are ignored. This may change in winter when you are using more grocery store greens.

Clear urine is normal for a well hydrated tortoise like this.

The only pyramiding on this tortoise was when it was first growing as a tiny baby, and someone corrected the problem early on. The new growth looks excellent. This is likely due to being contained in a vivarium, even if it was too small.

I don't like your water bowl. That could be dangerous for your tortoise. I prefer to use terra cotta saucers suk into the substrate. These have low sides and offer good traction when wet.

It sounds to me like you are doing an excellent job there. Here is more info, in case you haven't seen this yet:

Questions, pictures and conversation are welcome.

Wow! What an informative reply, much appreciated!

I’d love to give Shelly as much space as his heart so desires but I only live in a small flat. 6ftx4ft is the best I can do, and that’s going to take up half my room, and have me swap out my double bed for a single just to make space! Again, I really would love to give Shelly as much room as possible but the 6x4 is literally the biggest I can go.

I’m playing around with water bowls at the moment, due to his current lack of space I’m finding it hard fitting anything in there that 1. fits him, 2. doesn’t take up half of the small space he already has. I actually only put this one in yesterday, switching from a ramped corner bowl that was too ill-fitting. A large terracotta saucer is the first thing that’s going to be put into his new viv, though, if I can source one large enough to fit his big butt! lol

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Wow! What an informative reply, much appreciated!

I’d love to give Shelly as much space as his heart so desires but I only live in a small flat. 6ftx4ft is the best I can do, and that’s going to take up half my room, and have me swap out my double bed for a single just to make space! Again, I really would love to give Shelly as much room as possible but the 6x4 is literally the biggest I can go.

I’m playing around with water bowls at the moment, due to his current lack of space I’m finding it hard fitting anything in there that 1. fits him, 2. doesn’t take up half of the small space he already has. I actually only put this one in yesterday, switching from a ramped corner bowl that was too ill-fitting. A large terracotta saucer is the first thing that’s going to be put into his new viv, though, if I can source one large enough to fit his big butt! lol
Welcome from Devon. Once you get his new vivarium, you might be able to consider a small upper floor to it, with a ramp to reach it - that would give him more movement space. Obviously he is going to be a much-loved little friend, if you are even down-sizing your bed for him! This forum is the only one you need to consult about tortoise questions and problems - there are people here like Tom and Yvonne G, who know a huge amount about tortoises and can always help and advise. I wish it had existed when we first got Zola 21 years ago !
Best wishes from Angie.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
Welcome from Devon. Once you get his new vivarium, you might be able to consider a small upper floor to it, with a ramp to reach it - that would give him more movement space. Obviously he is going to be a much-loved little friend, if you are even down-sizing your bed for him! This forum is the only one you need to consult about tortoise questions and problems - there are people here like Tom and Yvonne G, who know a huge amount about tortoises and can always help and advise. I wish it had existed when we first got Zola 21 years ago !
Best wishes from Angie.
Thank you Angie! Once the viv comes and I have a good look at it I’ll see what I can do. The only issue is it’s only 2ft high, but again I’ll have a proper think about it once it comes and I can gauge how suitable another platform would be!

He is very loved. He has entirely taken over my life for the last month and I intend to give him the best life I can! :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you Angie! Once the viv comes and I have a good look at it I’ll see what I can do. The only issue is it’s only 2ft high, but again I’ll have a proper think about it once it comes and I can gauge how suitable another platform would be!

He is very loved. He has entirely taken over my life for the last month and I intend to give him the best life I can! :)
Yes, there is something about tortoises that makes one love them, isn't there ! How did you come to get him in the first place ?

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
Yes, there is something about tortoises that makes one love them, isn't there ! How did you come to get him in the first place ?
He was my mums friends tortoise who unfortunately is now terminally ill and unable to look after him anymore. Us being animal lovers with a mad house full of animals as it is immediately said we’d take him! :)