Meet Turdy a RT after he survived a dog attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
Hello,

Here is Turdy a 10+ year old Russian tortoise. I rescued him from a family friend in 2012 that had him in his backyard for 10 years living with the family yellow lab without any problems. (We have all heard this story before).

Last June 2012 the lab took to chewing on the tortoise. First they told me that the dog just picked Turdy up in his mouth and walked around with it, without chewing on Turdy. They said they punished the dog for doing that and thought everything was fine and still left the two alone together in the yard. Well after a few more times and a couple of weeks later the dog started to chew on him, like a piece of rawhide. Thankfully they found him before the injuries were fatal and quickly took Turdy out of the backyard and put him into a 15 gallon tank in the garage.

After a week or so without him eating or walking around, they called me and ask if I could take him. Turdy was very moist/wet, smelly and had blood all over his shell when I got there. I already had an outdoor enclosure (5’x5’) that I had made for baby Sulcata’s that was not occupied so I took him home that day.

Today he is super active and eats like crazy, but his shell has a long way to go.

Below you can see photos of this shell today and the damage the dog caused. I did not take photos of him when I got him but he had a hole on his underside and lots of chew marks all over his shell, along with 2 chips on the back edge of his shell.

Attachments

• Turdy.jpg
    Turdy.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_9385.jpg
    IMG_9385.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_9375.jpg
    IMG_9375.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_9371.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9374.jpg
    IMG_9374.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9379.jpg
    IMG_9379.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9380.jpg
    IMG_9380.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_9384.jpg
    IMG_9384.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 155

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
RE: Meet Turdy a RTafter he survived a dog attack

Poor guy! He will be happier now with you!! :).....and without the dog!!!!!!

jeffstort

5 Year Member
Meet Turdy a RTafter he survived a dog attack

Hope he gets better

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Meet Turdy a RTafter he survived a dog attack

Another unfortunate case of irresponsible pet ownership. :( Good on you for saving him.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Cymmie

5 Year Member
RE: Meet Turdy a RTafter he survived a dog attack

He looks pretty good for surviving a dog attack O.O especially from a yellow lab o.o you must be taking very good care of him <3 keep it up ^^

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am glad you rescued Turdy. I cannot believe how some people are so irresponsible and do not take proper care of their pets. It looks like Turdy is on his way to a good recovery and is very happy in his new home. :)

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Aww, poor turdy! I hope he recovers well... Will his scutes grow back? I don't have a clue.... Poor baby. :( great that you rescued him! :)

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
*misskerrimoo* said:
Aww, poor turdy! I hope he recovers well... Will his scutes grow back? I don't have a clue.... Poor baby. :( great that you rescued him! :)

I believe they will, but it will take a long time. From what I have observed in the last year, it looks like all the white areas will fall off and the new growth is underneath. All the white areas on Turdy were chew marks last year that peeled off to show the hard white stuff. I believe it to be the healing process.

Attachments

• new_growth.jpg
    new_growth.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Speechless! D:
But glad for the happy ending.
Thank you for rescuing poor Turdy.

Ann from CT

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, Bruce, your assumptions are correct. Giving him plenty of sun, nutritious weeds and greens and access to cuttlebone and water will allow him to heal.

Good grief, some people really are...well... morons (well meaning but clueless).

Good for you.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thank goodness you were the one to come for the save! Yay!
Turdy looks purdy great considering the you can be my rawhide experience with the doggie.
People-people-people it is not the dog, it's the people-people-people!
What were those peeps thinking? Oh yeah, they weren't. Thinking that is.
Sharing this is good education so Turdy's icky days in dog's mouth may help others! Thank you Turdy! : )

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
Sharing this is good education so Turdy's icky days in dog's mouth may help others! Thank you Turdy! : ) [/quote said:
That is what I was hoping. So people can see that even the most perfect dog still is a dog. There family dog would be considered a perfect family dog in most peoples eyes, he is loving, playful, obedient and of course good looking. The dog and tortoise lived together for 10 years with out any problems and the dog seemed to careless about the tortoise. But one day it all changed very quickly to the detriment of Turdy.

Here is a little more history on how the family came to have Turdy. The family had found Turdy in the street in front of there house 10 years ago and they have 2 boys who really wanted to keep him. After all the signs were put up and they knocked on all the houses in the neighborhood they decided they would keep him. They have a 3' x 20' raised planter in the back yard that they made his home, until the day the dog would not leave him alone.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Turdy has been through such an horrendous ordeal! :( poor turdy. Similar story to the original owners on how I got my Russian! I've only had him 5 weeks and no sign of his owner. He too has been bitten/chewed by a dog twice from what I can see. Within the 5 weeks I've given him a home with a good diet and enclosure inside and out he his shell is starting to show signs of improvement. In the smaller bite mark areas. Luckily Mo (we've named him :) ) was not as bad as Turdy but wanted you to know that the shell will mend in time :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Alan RF said:
Turdy has been through such an horrendous ordeal! :( poor turdy. Similar story to the original owners on how I got my Russian! I've only had him 5 weeks and no sign of his owner. He too has been bitten/chewed by a dog twice from what I can see. Within the 5 weeks I've given him a home with a good diet and enclosure inside and out he his shell is starting to show signs of improvement. In the smaller bite mark areas. Luckily Mo (we've named him :) ) was not as bad as Turdy but wanted you to know that the shell will mend in time :)

Thank you for saving Mo! :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] @ YWG
Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE]& Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE]

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Jabuticaba said:
Alan RF said:

Thank you for saving Mo! :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] @ YWG
Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE]& Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE]

Here's hoping he's not claimed because I love him to bits! Bite marks and all xx

Status
Not open for further replies.