Meet Tyler :)

Dan Tennick

Hi all,

Hope you're all well and had a great weekend. I thought id send you all a few pics of my very first Tort, Tyler.

He is a 1 year old Horsfield :) I got him a week ago now and has totally made me fall in love :D

Let me know what you all think of him! :)

Danimage (1).jpeg image (2).jpeg image (3).jpeg image (4).jpeg image (5).jpeg image (6).jpeg image (7).jpeg image (8).jpeg image (9).jpeg image.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice. I'm wondering if his toe nails/claws are a bit too long? They seem a tad too long and i wonder if they should be trimmed?

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
he looks great:)

I also think he looks like a real character, his expression is almost a bit like " yes, I am pampered, now give me more food and adore me " lol....

just kidding.

Enjoy your new friend he looks amazing.

Joey

Dan Tennick

Nice. I'm wondering if his toe nails/claws are a bit too long? They seem a tad too long and i wonder if they should be trimmed?

Yeah, they are pretty long :/ I was told not to cut them and instead, use a piece of slate for his feeding dish to help keep them down? Would a vet be able to do this?

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands

i saw that too, but if he has a like a piece of slate stone in his enclosure, and he can roam outside, he would be fine. it would wear off by itself..

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Yeah, they are pretty long :/ I was told not to cut them and instead, use a piece of slate for his feeding dish to help keep them down? Would a vet be able to do this?

could possibly, but letting it wear off by itself would be the option I would prefer.

Dan Tennick

i saw that too, but if he has a like a piece of slate stone in his enclosure, and he can roam outside, he would be fine. it would wear off by itself..

Yeah, he does have slate in his enclosure and is always walking on the garden pavement so i'm sure its helping. I have noticed they are not as bad as they were last week when i got him which is great! :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
His beak is a little overgrown. Feeding him on a slate may help, and the cuttlebone you have is also good.

How big is he? If he truly is a year old, it's too early to tell if he's male, of course, but as a working hypothesis it's fine.

His substrate looks dry. Moisture is important.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sure is a nice looking Torts.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
His beak is a little overgrown. Feeding him on a slate may help, and the cuttlebone you have is also good.

How big is he? If he truly is a year old, it's too early to tell if he's male, of course, but as a working hypothesis it's fine.

His substrate looks dry. Moisture is important.

Like a bit of humidity in his hide right? I heard keeping the substrate overall moist is a very bad idea as they are from very arid areas and can get infections on their skin and respiratory problems when they are kept too humid.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

Slate should work fine. Trimming toes/beaks is troublesome and I hope you don't have to. Nice table:)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
adorable!
I had to trim my franklins nails when i first got him since they weren't wearing down any, it was quite a frightening experience since their nails are darker and harder to see the part you can't cut to. But we survived and ever since he's been fine, since he practically mauls his food plate when its empty! His beak has been getting slowly longer, his plate hasn't worn it down quite enough to keep up with growth, but last time i went to the vest he said it was only a tad long and nothing to wotty about yet, and it doesn't seem to have drown since. So i mean for nails is you have to trim them eventually just be real careful with very small amounts and you'll be fine, i have no experience with the beak and when the time comes will be leaving that to the vet