Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogie

5 Year Member
As seen on tortoisegroup.org

What have you heard about it?
Any experiences with it?
Recommend it?

Considering it as a supplemental food (they suggest it as complete diet) for my Desert Tortoise.

Oogie

5 Year Member
thanks...is there a preferred online dealer? it doesn't appear that any pet/reptile shops around me carry it.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
some of the members will sell 1-2lb bags off of their own. seems to only come in 25lb increments. I bought mine on ebay. it was about 12 dollars with shipping for 2lbs. no way my hatchling can eat 25lbs in the next year!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oogie said:
As seen on tortoisegroup.org

What have you heard about it?
Any experiences with it?
Recommend it?

Considering it as a supplemental food (they suggest it as complete diet) for my Desert Tortoise.

Many, many years ago I purchased "Monster Diet" (really Mega-Diet re-packaged by the turtle club) from a turtle club in Nevada. I used to belong to this club and they were always advertising the Monster Diet in their newsletter. They were really touting it and had nothing but good to say about it. So I ordered some. When I opened the package, it smelled like fruit. I mean REALLY SMELLED like fruit. Desert tortoises aren't supposed to have fruit. So I never used it, tossed it away. I don't know if its changed in the intervening years, but years ago it wasn't what I would feed to my tortoises.

Yvonne

Oogie

5 Year Member
yay!!! i found the mazuri tortoise diet at a country feed store! thanks, again, for the suggestion.

and thanks for the warning on the monster/mega diet, yvonne. i also didn't like the fact that they are sold in giant ziplock bags...so there's no guarantee what's in them.

Lynn DeVries

5 Year Member
Iowa
I use a lot of Monster Diet, its Mfg by Zeigler foods and repackaged as "Mega Diet" by the tortoise group. It has a long history of being a viable and nutritious food specifically formulated for Tortoises. I'm not sure what it used to smell like, but now days it smells like Fresh cut grass and my Tortoises love it. I feed it to all of my grass and weed eaters in the winter time. For babies I mix it 50/50 with water and let it soak for 30 minutes. Then its the consistancy of cookie dough and the babies love it!

Lynn

Lynn DeVries

5 Year Member
Iowa
But just because I use it doesn't mean it's any good. I just happen to use it :)

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.