Melon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Really a Russian should not be getting any kind of fruit, as they have problems with the high sugar levels they have. Much better to stick with greens and weeds. Then for truits try blossoms. :cool:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
It is good that you are asking questions - so please don't feel your toes stepped on. :)

As mentioned above, your tortoise really doesn't need fruit. The high sugar levels can cause parasite and fungal blooms inside the tortoise's gut (due to pH changes and other factors), and the high sugar content can also mess with an RT's metabolism.

There are so many good, healthy leafy greens you can offer. Treats for a tortoise don't have to be 'sweet' - I find that my torts will come running when I offer them hibiscus flowers, squash flowers, dandelions flowers (they seem to like anything bright yellow!), or even a juicy piece of romaine lettuce, since I don't feed them that more than maybe once every 6 or so weeks. :)

Azrielle Mckenzie said:
What types of melon can a Russian tortoise eat?

Azrielle Mckenzie

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for the advice. when i brought my tortoise I was given fruit flavoured pellets but I have never used them. I stick to things like kale and lettuce, but I wasn't sure if they could eat certain fruits. I saw someone on here feeding their tortoise melon so I wondered if they can eat fruit as well. thank you:)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
What type of lettuce are you feeding? Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, so stay away from that, but dark lettuces aren't bad. I wouldn't give much spinach either. Baby Spring Mix with the spinach take out makes a decent start to a meal, but the more weeds you can feed them the better. Hibiscus flowers are an excellent food for them and most tortoises seem to really like them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Azrielle Mckenzie said:
Thank you very much for the advice. when i brought my tortoise I was given fruit flavoured pellets but I have never used them. I stick to things like kale and lettuce, but I wasn't sure if they could eat certain fruits. I saw someone on here feeding their tortoise melon so I wondered if they can eat fruit as well. thank you:)
Some vaieties of tortoise can eat fruit and some can eat a lot of fruit. Those are like the redfooted tortoises and hingebacks for examples. Then there are those who should get no fruit. They won't die from the fruit and some do give them small amounts and very rare times, because like you were tokd above it can cause them health issues. If you wanted to, you could sprinkle some of those pellets in with his greens, just to use them up. I personally would not buy more, as the world is full of much better things to feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.