Mental health of tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maude

5 Year Member
Claude (who was Maude until clearly was a Claude) is my male 10in redfoot. He lives outside in a large enclosure about 16ftx20ft. I have had him several years now and now that he has reached sexual maturity I find myself questioning the best environment for him. He has a nice enclosure with trees/pond/ivies etc growing in it. Still I see him often pacing the sides and know it must get pretty boring in there after a while. I know right now he is looking for a female as his log has become his new closest friend (if you know what I mean).
I just feel sort of bad for him-like keeping him in this pen is not satisfying needs he has that are instinctual and because of that are incredibly strong. Would he be better off with a companion of some sort? The research I read before I got him pointed to them not really being social creatures and preferring to live alone. But his behavior just makes me wonder. Is there something I can do for his mental health? I don't mind the thought of another tortoise but I don't want any tortoise babies either. How do our experienced owners out there deal with this? How do you help your torts have a fulfilled life? Do you change their enclosures? --Thoughts?

After rereading my post I realize this may all sound rather silly but after seeing the wild redfoots in St. John I just hate for Claude not to have as good a life. We talk a lot about the physical needs of these wonderful creatures but can we talk mental for a bit! :)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I don't think this topic is silly in fact I'd be interested in reading the responses having got only one redfoot myself and one Russian but kept separate at all times! :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Reds can be quite social in the wild. If you are happy with eggs go for it, but if not then maybe it's a no go.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with all the above. I have wondered the same thing from time to time. My leopard hasn't reached the point of yours yet though. Now that I know he is a he:D. I wouldn't mind adding a couple females if he ever acts like yours is now. I don't want babies either though. Well, I wouldn't mind, but don't have room to get stuck with not being able to sell them. I have thought, if I could actually do it, but sounds very cruel, to just crush the eggs as soon as they were laid.
I have noticed that when ever I do change his enclosure up some, he had always seemed to perk up more. It is very short lived though. Now that he has been outside 24/7 he is a happier, well more energetic tort then when he was inside.
Maybe try changing the enclosure. Adding a large rock or two, logs, new bushes, etc. even maybe moving anything like this you may already have in there around may help. Lets us know what you do and how it seems to work out. Great thread BTW.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I beat them with a belt until they love me for it.

I keep a variety of tortoises in space which has a lot of variety in terms of retreats, haunts, food sources, and more. The socially inclined animals will associate as they please and the loners will meet up only incidentally and with less frequency. My forest tortoises tend to group up and travel the yard together. Since I have a quite a bit of breeding going on, a number of animals share a type of "company". If I kept only redfoot tortoises and only with the intention of having a pet or pets, as you have one, I would probably keep more than one since they are often found together in the wild and my multiples are very peaceful together.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have the men folk here (CDTs) and what is appearing to be all male Redfoot Torts....the outdoor CDT yards vary in size...all the way from the smallest to the largest--they all will pace for a period of time like in the am and then in the pm and then they will lounge about (they each have their own yards so they do not kill each other) and there are times of the year that they are a bit more OCD (likely when they would like to be getting some, big fun business) pacing and then after that time passes they are not pacing as a regular thing...so, you will indeed have to come to grips that you have a tortoise in a forced captive situation (they will not ever have the space that a wild tort will, so you will have to come to peace with that if you are going to host a tortoise(s))...and make their space as similar to what they would have naturally....

Status
Not open for further replies.