Mercury Vapor Bulbs

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I think they’re a waste of money and get far too hot in a closed chamber. They were recommended to me before I got my RF and thank god I set up his enclosure before ordering him because temps got over 105 degrees within 30 minutes. They can’t be set on a thermostat and therefore can’t be regulated. Much cheaper and efficient to use a CHE and fluorescent tube for UV. My $50 MVB is still in its box. My AP cage which will be here this month has RHP’s mounted. More expensive than an MVB or a CHE but much better!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, what should the reading be for Russian hatchlings?
I think 1 or 2 is adequate. 3 or 4 is good. 5, 6, or higher is getting pretty strong and I'd be concerned about more shade, hiding areas, and limiting the time that bulb is on. At a UVI reading of 5+, I would only run the bulb for 3 hours mid day.

There is no "science" behind this. No lab tests have been done and no peer reviewed conclusions reached. The above paragraph is a whole lot of educated guessing based on what information I've been able to collect and apply from many sources over many years. Following what I've outlined above has worked well for me. Other people may have had also success when deviating from the above. Climate may play a factor too. Someone from Canada or Northern Europe whose tortoises must live inside most of the year might have different findings than someone like me or you, whose tortoises live outside in the warm sunshine year round. You and I are drawing info from, and talking more about indoor baby care, because our adults don't need any artificial UV since they live outside. You and I are mainly concerned with growing healthy babies to a size when they are large enough to go live in a big outdoor enclosure.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think they’re a waste of money and get far too hot in a closed chamber. They were recommended to me before I got my RF and thank god I set up his enclosure before ordering him because temps got over 105 degrees within 30 minutes. They can’t be set on a thermostat and therefore can’t be regulated. Much cheaper and efficient to use a CHE and fluorescent tube for UV. My $50 MVB is still in its box. My AP cage which will be here this month has RHP’s mounted. More expensive than an MVB or a CHE but much better!
I agree with you on all points here.

And you are going to LOVE your AP cage! As you assemble it, you are going to be astounded with the precision and exact tolerances from the factory. I have 8 of them now. Best enclosures on the market, by far.

daniellenc

Maryland
I agree with you on all points here.

And you are going to LOVE your AP cage! As you assemble it, you are going to be astounded with the precision and exact tolerances from the factory. I have 8 of them now. Best enclosures on the market, by far.
I can’t wait!! Pro products delivered the RHP’s this week so fingers crossed it’s here in the next few weeks.