Mercury Vapor Bulbs

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
I've never used one but would like to for my sulcata. The only thing that kind of throws me off is that for the 125watt it says for use with enclosures with height of at least 30". This doesn't seem feasible as there's no heat at that distance. How do you use this bulbs properly and can they be used on a pen with only 12" height?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How big is your Sulcata & are you using this as a primary heat source or do you have another source?

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
lismar79 said:
How big is your Sulcata & are you using this as a primary heat source or do you have another source?

5" shell and ceramic heat emitters are primary heat. Mercury vapor would be for basking and extra UVB.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have mine 16" from the top of shell of my 4" Sully. No problems so far. If she gets hot, she moves. I have a rock under mine too so the warmth comes from top & bottom. 12 inch might be too close but you can always test it. See if your little one stays under it to bask for longer periods of time. If not it may be to hot & burning the shell. Mine lays out in the morning for about an hr or so. They need to soak in the UV's so it is important they get a good amount of time under as needed & it shouldn't be too far from the shell where you loose uv strength.

Do you have a lid that the light will sit on or is yours all open. Mine is enclosed to keep humidity in so I made a bar to run the lights on. I can adjust as needed with my zip ties & wire.

Attachments

• IMG_5397.JPG
    IMG_5397.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 49

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
I was basically just wondering why they say not to use in enclosures less than 30" tall. It's the exoterra solar glo 125w as that's really all I can find. I just see people using them in shorter enclosures all the time and the temp range in the box doesn't warm past 18" or so, so I was just confused as to why it had to be so tall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think that is to cover them liability-wise for someone using it in a closed chamber with a roof over it.

I set the height of my bulbs according to the heat under them. Usually around 16-18" is what gets the correct basking temp for me. Use a thermometer to check the basking temperature under your bulb in your enclosure. Make sure there is nothing too close to the top of the bulb that could catch fire.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never seen or heard of any problem at 16-18". Any closer than that and it would likely be much too hot, and avoided by the animal anyway.

Every situation is different. The only way to KNOW what amount of UV you are producing in YOUR enclosure with YOUR bulb is to measure it with a UV meter. I think a UV meter is just as important as a thermometer for anyone whose tortoise(s) live primarily indoors and are dependent on artificial UV.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California