Metobolic bone disease ??

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
I showed my yellowfoot pic off on my Facebook and a person commented that my yellowfoot has MBD and now I'm all worried! Does she? In your guys opinion? And how can I treat her? ImageUploadedByTortForum1395001045.319870.jpg

Her shell isn't soft and she eats great. Not sure what to look for... Her shell is a bit humped... Is that it?

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it looks like it to me too. The dip in the carapace, top shell is what makes me think it. Get her into the sunlight as often as possible making sure to provide shade. Also, give some calcium supplement a couple times a week. Also, do you have UVB
For when she is inside?

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Okies I'll def up her calcium, I seen her chomping down on cuttlebone in her enclosure, I live in ohio so I can't take her out right now but I def will soon as weather permits, I have a powersun UVB bulb in the enclosure as well as a UVB strip light... Anything more I can do for her?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Glad someone finally brought it to your attention. Yes, the tortoise shows clear signs of some level of MBD, ongoing or past. This tortoise looks like a rescue.

TurtleSource should have made you aware of these facts. I am very surprised they have not. I hope they charged an amount that would reflect tortoises condition. I would contact them and inquire as to why they have not disclosed tortoises condition. It is not fair to you the buyer and welfare of the tortoise if it is in fact in need of rehabilitating care at the present time.

That being said the tortoise can still live long healthy life in your proper care like any other healthy tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does your calcium have D3? I would give some with it once a week. Also, how old are your bulbs? Fluorescents should be replaced every 6 months and MVB every 12.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Yes I bought her from there, I've only had her about 2 weeks I'm def gonna contact them! I paid 250 for her, so no I don't think I was given any type of price cut. Will she outgrow it? I'm not giving her back to them no matter what, she has a forever home with me and I'll do my best for her. The pics they sent me was of a group but honestly I don't see her in there at all... Now I'm disappointed in them! Not cool. I have no problem having her and she's not going anywhere but I believe they should have made me aware...

The UVB bulb is about 3 mnths old and the strip maybe a mnth old, and yes the calcium has d3 in it. Thank you alllll for all the info, I'm learning as I go, I thought her shell was a bit lumpy but I chalked it up to being captive bred..

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395007640.048064.jpg here's another Pic of her

Last edited by a moderator:

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
I bought her from turtlesourse last week. I had posted it in another thread

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
kellychipoos--
You have a right to be upset with them. So sorry this happened to you/her, and kudos to you for your good attitude about it (and wanting to keep her). What a way to find out, though... In the long run, she'll be okay... She obviously has a caring home now. :)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Metobolic bone disease ??

kellychipoos said:
Yes I bought her from there, I've only had her about 2 weeks I'm def gonna contact them! I paid 250 for her, so no I don't think I was given any type of price cut. Will she outgrow it? I'm not giving her back to them no matter what, she has a forever home with me and I'll do my best for her. The pics they sent me was of a group but honestly I don't see her in there at all... Now I'm disappointed in them! Not cool. I have no problem having her and she's not going anywhere but I believe they should have made me aware...

The UVB bulb is about 3 mnths old and the strip maybe a mnth old, and yes the calcium has d3 in it. Thank you alllll for all the info, I'm learning as I go, I thought her shell was a bit lumpy but I chalked it up to being captive bred..

here's another Pic of her

Will she outgrow it?...That's relative. The distorted carapace growth we see now is there for good. However over time with proper husbandry care her new growth may come in more even and smoother . She may grow at normal rate or she may not.

$250 is not a fair price for animal with signs of MBD. If she was a rescue even less so. If she was raised from a hatchling by TurtleSource then they really need to look into better husbandry care of their animals.
If its true that she was not in the picture of the group representing available animals well that's just a shady practice.

I would be disappointed as well. Perhaps this was some kind of error on TurtleSource side as well as not informing you on the condition of the animal. Hope they make good on it.