Microchipping and/or "collar ID" ideas?

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
I have been contemplating ways to have some sort of SAFE ID on my Russian Tort, Morla, much like one does for their dogs. (I have both for my dogs so that people know to look for a microchip.)

Does anyone know if it is possible to microchip a tort and put a "collar" (readily visible ID of some sort) on them so people would know to look for a chip if they found Morla wandering around?

I never leave her outside without active supervision (too worried about escapes, theft, or predation), but these guys are deceptively crafty and "quick" when they want to be, so I'd like to have something on her when she's out and about!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, tortoises can be microchipped. I have several radiata with pit tags inserted under the skin. However, because of the way a tortoise's head retracts, I doubt a collar would work. Also, because chipping is not very common for tortoises in the U.S. I doubt many vets or animal shelters would check for a chip. Best thing is to build a safe and escape outdoor yard for the tortoise.

Sa Ga

MN
Thank you, Yvonne! I'm glad to hear there are chips available. Are they the same as cat/dog ones, or do torts need a special kind? Where is it placed? Can average chip scanners actually read them? (I've heard that it can depend on the brand of chip and chip reader.)

Yes, I'm all too aware of Morla's little "turtleneck" skin--lol! (I struggled with it while learning how to tube feed her!) The "collar" would have to be more like a harness, but I worry about her safety (could it get caught on something, reposition and pinch her, etc?). The purpose of it would be to let ppl know to look for that microchip.

Any ideas how I might let ppl know there is a microchip inside this adorable, deeply loved pkg? (Paint, tattoos, bolting a tag to her shell...not great options... ?)

quasimodo

Chapel Hill, NC
I've seen a few people take a small metal tag and epoxy it to a scute. It falls off every few months but it lets people know "hey I'm a pet and microchipped"

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There's something called tile tracker that a lot of people use. It's range isn't very far though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've seen that mentioned before.
But I have an enclosed pen inside of an enclosed, privacy fenced yard.
I've never needed anything like that myself.
But I think it's a good idea.
Just epoxy on the scute. Not in the areas in between them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not something I've done or have any experience with, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Like ZEROPILOT, mine are all in secure pens inside a big giant walled compound. I have 30 dogs, people with guns living there, and people coming and going from there at all hours of the day and night. I don't need tags on mine.

Sa Ga

MN
Its not something I've done or have any experience with, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Like ZEROPILOT, mine are all in secure pens inside a big giant walled compound. I have 30 dogs, people with guns living there, and people coming and going from there at all hours of the day and night. I don't need tags on mine.
Lol! Yeah, have not I a compound, 30 dogs, or a plethora of gun-toting beings.... ?

I'll stick to epoxy then!

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
In Europe we must microship appended (CITES and UE 338/97) tortoises and turtles species by law.
So we are used to put ships or microships, just be careful of the size of your, wait until a reasonable size before to do it.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
Lol! Yeah, have not I a compound, 30 dogs, or a plethora of gun-toting beings.... ?

I'll stick to epoxy then!
Hello, I'm looking at this thread because I would like extra reassurance in case my torts somehow escape their enclosure and need to be found (unlikely, but disasters happen) and was wondering what pet safe epoxies people here would approve of using on a shell. In the meantime, as my babies grow, I'm thinking I'll just use masking tape once a week, but later I want to be very certain the epoxy I use will not be harmful. Thank you to anyone who can respond!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I don't have the talent to speak re: safe epoxies or glues......

If we look at what folks do who incarcerate people for a living, we see them institute multiple layers of enclosure.............I'm sure the same applies if you are worried. A space between their enclosure wall and the free world, plus a short fence could give you the extra backup that you need? Not sure how big your guys are though.......Clemson, bless his soul would have rolled though anything short of the 3 little pigs brick house!

I have read multiple posts from owners of Russians and apparently they are the "Houdini's" of the turtle world. Do you by chance have them?