Microplastics found in the gut of all sea turtle species.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
It is a fact that more and more seabirds that are found dead have only plastic in their stomach. They eat all the small, colorful plastic things they can get and this plastic blocks their stomach and guts.
Sea turtles are eating yellyfish. A plastic bag swimming in the water looks for them like a yellyfish. When the turtles eat a lot of plastic bags they die.
The micro plastic comes back to us in the seafish we eat. It is too late to escape the( micro ) plastic. We used the oceans as a big trash dump but we have to face the deadly result of it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The lesson we all need to learn is that we must use less plastic. And the plastic we do use must be disposed of carefully. I have really cut back on my use of disposable plastics now. I am really thinking before I buy anything.

Reusable cups and bottles are only the start. Our local butcher lets you bring your own containers for meat rather than wrap in plastic. I buy singles cans of food rather than larger packs shrink wrapped together. I choose cardboard and paper packaging over plastic if I can.

In many places I have been there are now signs asking you to pick up 3 bits of litter every time you're out. If everyone did it then it would help reduce microplastics in the environment.

There's already a problem. There's no excuse for people making it worse through thoughtlessness

ForestDragon

Columbus Ohio
The lesson we all need to learn is that we must use less plastic. And the plastic we do use must be disposed of carefully. I have really cut back on my use of disposable plastics now. I am really thinking before I buy anything.

Reusable cups and bottles are only the start. Our local butcher lets you bring your own containers for meat rather than wrap in plastic. I buy singles cans of food rather than larger packs shrink wrapped together. I choose cardboard and paper packaging over plastic if I can.

In many places I have been there are now signs asking you to pick up 3 bits of litter every time you're out. If everyone did it then it would help reduce microplastics in the environment.

There's already a problem. There's no excuse for people making it worse through thoughtlessness
I completely agree I'm watching how much plastic I use and make sure everything I use can be recycled or melted down by some of my friends one of my friends is working on turning the plastic we use into filament for his 3d printer and make cool statues with it we really need to quit using plastic in general and switch to better alternatives and I'm going to buy a metal straw to use when I go places to help cut back on plastic straws as well

Bee62

Germany
The problem with plastic is that poor countries don`t recycle it. They throw it on huge trash dumps on sea shores and in rivers. With the water the plastic takes it`s way into the oceans.
Plastic waste on ships is thrown into the sea. A cheap way to get rid of it and a deadly one !
Rich countries shipped plastic waste for many years to poor countries to get rid of it. But it wasn`t recycled there. It was thrown anywhere.
It is too late to stop the terrible consequences our plastic waste makes. Plastic is found in deepest water in all oceans.
We should stop using plastic but when you buy food in a supermarket all is wrapped in plastic. How to stop with using plastic ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The problem with plastic is that poor countries don`t recycle it. They throw it on huge trash dumps on sea shores and in rivers. With the water the plastic takes it`s way into the oceans.
Plastic waste on ships is thrown into the sea. A cheap way to get rid of it and a deadly one !
Rich countries shipped plastic waste for many years to poor countries to get rid of it. But it wasn`t recycled there. It was thrown anywhere.
It is too late to stop the terrible consequences our plastic waste makes. Plastic is found in deepest water in all oceans.
We should stop using plastic but when you buy food in a supermarket all is wrapped in plastic. How to stop with using plastic ?
The other problem with poor countries is that rich countries send their plastics there for "recycling"

Frequently, nothing of the sort happens and people in the wealthy countries are wrongly congratulating themselves on recylcing their plastics.

As individuals, we cannot stop this, but we can all take responsibility for our own impact on the planet.