Might be getting a leo this friday and need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ aria
Hello. I found this deal http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-72472.html and couldn't pass it up, so I think I'm getting a leopard on friday:D:D:D I'm use to SDTs so a more forest type species will be knew to me. I'm probably going to keep him/her in a setup sort of like this one: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-661.html except I'm going to cover the top with plexi-glass and cut holes in it for the lights, to retain heat and humidity. I have read "the end of pyramiding" so I do know the importance of humidity for leos. What should I feed him? I'm use to feeding weeds, flowers,grass, and every so often fruit and veggies.
Do leos need more fruit, or veggies, or store bought foods? What ratio should weeds and grasses be to fruits and things like that? What do you feed your leos? Should I have some wet peat moss under the basking spot and it the humid hide? Again I'm new to leopards, so any other advice would be MUCH appreciated... Thanks!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Stay away from fruits, they should only be added as a treat maybe once a month if that. They are grazers so feed them high fiber/low protein veggies (grasses 70% of diet and the rest is mainly leafy dark greens). Fruit will increase the acidity of the tortoise stomach flora....and well in simple terms to much will literally kill the tortoise. As for mazuri treat it just like fruit maybe once a month in small moderations as it's high in protein. Some commercial foods i'd consider to add is the Repashi grassland tortoise gel or the zoomed grassland tortoise pellets.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
You need to read Tom's threads on Leos. I don't totally agree with the previous suggestions. Leo's will do well on grasses, weeds and certain flowers. That diet you described is great. I feed mine a big helping of spring mix and red or green leaf lettuce each day and then they graze in the yard. A few times a week I mix in a helping of wetted mazuri food which they love. You'll find this is a basic diet people follow quite often. Fruits are a treat and not to be given daily. You can try other foods like pellets and hay, but not many torts will accept that diet.

Good luck and ask questions often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The link for your set up isn't working for me, so I can't comment on that one. I think you, and everyone else by now, know that I favor closed chambers for the ease with which they allow you to maintain ideal tortoise growing conditions with a minimum of effort and expense.

For diet, most regular leopards are not real fond of grass, although some will eat it. Studies have shown their their wild diet consists mainly of forbs (weeds) and succulents. Lots and lots of broad leaf weeds work well for them. I like, thistle, sow thistle, dandelion, filaree, mallow, all types of plantain weed, clovers, spurge, wild mustard, etc... There are lots more. Then I like to feed leaves from roses, hibiscus, african hibiscus, geraniums, mulberry trees, grape vines and more. For flowers and flower bushes, look to gazanias, nasturtiums, pansies, carnations, etc. I prefer to grow these from seed to avoid any sort of systemic pesticides that come in store bought flowers. For succulents I use six different varieties of spineless opuntia cactus, ice plant, jade plant, aloe, organ pipe cactus with the spines cut off, and "red apple". From the grocery store or the garden, I like carrot tops, cilantro, endive, escarole, mesclun mixes, collard, mustard and turnip greens, and very occasionally bell pepper grated squash or carrot or mushrooms. For prepared foods, I like to mix in some soaked ZooMed Grassland Pellets or Mazuri or both about twice a week.

Good luck. Have fun!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. The link to see the Leo didn't work for me, so don't forget to post a pic when you get him. No fruit if or Leo's. Tom and Greg T's food suggestion above are what you should be feeding, at least as much of a variety of it as you can find.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I'm sort of at a loss for what to make the enclosure out of. I know I want some sort of enclosed chamber type thing, But I have a limited budget (i'm 13) So I'm not sure making it out of ply wood would be cheap enough. Do you think a single 25 gallon Rubbermaid bin with plexi-glass over the top and maybe a little plexi-glass window would be OK for the first few months?

One other thing, now I'm getting him on sunday!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I fixed both links in the OP; the first was missing a space after the url to separate it from the proceeding word and the second was missing a space before the url.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My first closed chamber was a large tote with the lid. I cut a hole for the light.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.