milo from south africa

faade

5 Year Member
2014-10-26 18.32.39.jpg Hi. I am faade from sunny south africa. I came upon a tortoise recently that I desperately need help identifying so that I can give it the specific care it needs. What's amazing Is that we have so long hoped to get a tortoise and miraculously it appeared in our yard.please assist me. Thank you in advance.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! I'm unsure on the species i don't think its a pancake or a speckled cape tortoise or a parrot beaked tortoise i don't know. but I'm really against taking tortoises from the wild, i would just find a good place to release it some where near your house. before releasing it find out if its native, hopefully someone will join the thread and tell you the species and if its native.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It may be a hingeback tortoise, however, I can't see a hinge. I'm with R/S/T though, a wild tortoise should always be left wild. Not only that, it's probably illegal for you to take it in.

faade

5 Year Member
welcome to the forum! I'm unsure on the species i don't think its a pancake or a speckled cape tortoise or a parrot beaked tortoise i don't know. but I'm really against taking tortoises from the wild, i would just find a good place to release it some where near your house. before releasing it find out if its native, hopefully someone will join the thread and tell you the species and if its native.
I live in an urban area so it's definitely not wild. Releasing it would probably mean it being run over by a car or worse someone else taking it in and possibly abusing it. We have checked with neighbours also and no owners yet. Will posting more pics help identification.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. Try to get the area above the back legs. We'd like to see if there's a little "hinge" in that location. I'm sending a shout out to @tortadise and to @Jacqui. Both of them know their hingebacks.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It is a beautiful torts but I hope you can get him home either to his old owner or you can get good care info and be his provider

Marie Crowder

5 Year Member

If its, native, why not just let it live safely in your yard as long as their are no dogs, cats, etc. In certain areas of town where I live, turtles live in people's back yards and sometimes they move from one neighbor to another and everyone looks out for them. They do put food out and spoil them but they live a natural special life. How big is it?

faade

5 Year Member
I hope these pics can help us. Thanks guys. Awsome to have help.

Attachments

• 20141027_063333.jpg
    20141027_063333.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 20141027_063453.jpg
    20141027_063453.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 35

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That's a good looking tort

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That would be a male Belliana Belliana. Super cool. You must be somewhat close to Mozambique in the northeast region yes?

faade

5 Year Member
South coast of kzn. Love at first sight. I hope I can now find extensive care info to be able to look after him. Is everyone in agreement on species. There were earlier suggestions of hinge back?