Mine is eating a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
So, since the cold temp set in, I've been having mine inside the house. I also grow weeds and grass in terrariums for him to have fresh greens.

Anyway, before I left a couple days ago, the tank he was in still had a lot of weeds and grass. I came back last night and the tank was more like a wasteland. Virtually nothing was left. He managed to graze everything. I just put him in another tank that's full of grass and weeds. In the mean time, I'm letting the old tank recover.

At least he's eating well inside. I know the winter months are hard on him. Instead of the whole yard, he only gets the terrariums and the kitchen floor to wander around.

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
I do the same thing with growing weeds, I have several containers set up cause he goes through them so fast in the winter, It's hard to keep up.

But it's always good when they are eating lots. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have had the same experience every time I've tried to use live plants in a sulcata enclosure. I gave up. They just get weeds and grass outside now. When they are inside, I just toss in some weeds and grass from outside.

livingenzyme

5 Year Member
Good god, mine has cleaned out another terrarium. It was full with grass and weeds several times taller than him. Now, there's nothing in there but dirt.

Next week, I will have some time off. I'm thinking of sealing off a section of my home office for him. I'll plant more stuff there. Looks like he's eating a lot more than last winter. I tried to grow as much as I could to prepare for him. This winter, the plants are having trouble keeping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.