Mini combo deep dome zoo med

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchy

5 Year Member
Just ordered a combo lamp fixture and when I got here I realized it said its not for use with ceramic heat emitters. What would happen if I used one with it?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Maybe a fire . If the fixture is not made for it don't do it .12/15 dollars is not worth a burned up house.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I've used a mini deep Dome for my Che for almost a year and haven't had any problems. I wasn't aware they said not to use with a ceramic heat emitter.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've never used the mini-combo, deep dome fixture, but seeing pictures of it, I don't like it. For one thing, I like to be able to put one fixture in a different place from the other. Also, most appliances you buy to put in the fixture tell you to use one with a large bell-shaped dome. The deep dome is a small shape. If you go by what you're supposed to use with the CHE, it is a wire framework, not a dome fixture. But if you use the fixture with a large bell-shape, more heat can dissipate and it would be safer for the CHE.

Hatchy

5 Year Member
I guess my question should be is it because the light will break or because it will start a fire...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The small dome doesn't allow the heat to escape like larger domes/wire cage frames. A CHE gets really, really hot. I'd worry about it overheating and creating a fire hazard.
The socket isn't the cause for concern, the small space for so much heat is..

Sent from my TFOapp

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
So what would you use then? What type of lamp does everyone like? I will be getting a heat bulb and want to make sure I get the right one too.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I have the same set up and the CHE will cause the UVA to overheat and shut off frequently. I can not use both bulbs at the same time (but its summer so he's outside until the fall hits). The days he has come in I only use the MVB bulb (separate light fixture) for light and heat, it seems to be plenty. Once he comes in this fall I will change all my lighting set up.

I recommend you return the mini dome and go to Home Depot for some standard fixtures (for a 1/3rd the price).

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
For me personally, I use the 10" dome sold at Home Depot/ Lowes for my CHEs.

I use a double mini deep dome on my turtle tank. It houses a 75 watt basking bulb in one side and a 40 watt on the other side. Typically only the 75 watt side is on. During times when the room is extra chilly and the basking temp is too low I will turn on the additional light for the extra heat.

I use regular household incandescent light bulbs for basking bulbs. They give off heat, cheap to buy.

Sent from my TFOapp

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Yeah I want to get a lamp that will NOT over heat because the ones I have they are hot and I need to change these this weekend. So I wanted to get some options on what type of lamps to get. I'll look at Lowes & Home Depot tomorrow OR Saturday. I'm on a mission right now to make a NEW enclosure for my Cherry Heads. SO we will see how it goes. :) I'm going to put a Thread out here from start to finish. I can't wait to start tomorrow. Today I'm cleaning behind the couch where I had my book case & my other shelfs & what not and getting rid of OR moving to another place. So I can have the room behind the couch for my NEW Enclosure :)

Yvonne G said:
This is what you're supposed to use (according to the mfg) for the CHE:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/380584912556?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

And this is what I like to use for the MVB:

http://www.simsupply.com/p-72132-15...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CK6X2LG6grkCFY9xQgodAwwAow

but be sure it has a ceramic base.

Oh nice and they aren't so much money... Thanks I'll have to order some this weekend if I don't find good ones at Lowes OR Home Depot. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.