Minnesota sulcata looking for southern home

Jodi Arndt DVM

5 Year Member
I am the third owner of a 12 year old sulcata. I am looking for a southern home for him so he is not confined during the winter months . I live in minnesota and just can't seem to come up with a good long term solution for him in this climate. He is a sweetheart. He came with significant pyramiding but is doing well otherwise. Jodi

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I live in Georgia, what has he been eating? What does his enclosure look like? Has he been around other tortoises?

Jodi Arndt DVM

5 Year Member
I live in Georgia, what has he been eating? What does his enclosure look like? Has he been around other tortoises?
He is on grass now. he has been wintering in my heated laundry room on a Kane mat with overhead lights and heat lamp. Fall and spring he is in a heated outdoor shed with a small sun room/green house. He is out on grass as the weather permits. In the summer he lives in a fenced enclosure with an unheated coop/barn with his Kane pad if needed. Winter he eats good quality grass hay, tortoise pellets and fresh greens. Minimal fruit. He is getting too destructive to live in the house and soak in the bath tub.. Any winter enclosure short of a large warehouse is going to be too small when he gets bigger.

Jodi Arndt DVM

5 Year Member
not around other tortoises, he doesn't seem fazed by chickens, sheep, cats or dogs across a fence.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
He is on grass now. he has been wintering in my heated laundry room on a Kane mat with overhead lights and heat lamp. Fall and spring he is in a heated outdoor shed with a small sun room/green house. He is out on grass as the weather permits. In the summer he lives in a fenced enclosure with an unheated coop/barn with his Kane pad if needed. Winter he eats good quality grass hay, tortoise pellets and fresh greens. Minimal fruit. He is getting too destructive to live in the house and soak in the bath tub.. Any winter enclosure short of a large warehouse is going to be too small when he gets bigger.

Do you have pictures of him?

Jodi Arndt DVM

5 Year Member
I will have to weight him and measure him. > 11inches and 25 pounds at last check about 6 months ago

codyiler

5 Year Member
I live in Tennessee and would be happy to take him, we have other sulcatas a bit larger and plenty of room to roam:)

ShaneMichael

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I am the third owner of a 12 year old sulcata. I am looking for a southern home for him so he is not confined during the winter months . I live in minnesota and just can't seem to come up with a good long term solution for him in this climate. He is a sweetheart. He came with significant pyramiding but is doing well otherwise. Jodi

I am in southern Louisiana so let me know if i can be of any assistance in rehoming him.