Miracle Grow Liquid plant food?

Ninja's mom

I was given the Miracle grow aerogarden and wanted to try growing some salad greens (we live where its really cold so can't grow anything outdoors until summer). The aerogarden kit comes with the miracle grow plant nutrients which include pottasium nitrate, calcium nitrate, mono potassium phosphate, ammonium nitrate and magnesium sulfate. I'm not sure that is safe for our Russian baby. If not we will just eat the salad greens, but if they are safe i'd love to be able to give him some.

This is the unit itself http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9GRTC8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And this is the pods I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042VK7HE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Also, i'm going to try to grow a garden this summer for "Ninja" and have never grown anything before ha. Do I need to use some sort of fertilizer or do I just dump some organic soil, throw in some seeds, put in sun and water?

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
personally I would not use the fertilizer to many nitrates. I don't use fertilizer of any type just soil and earthworms works fine for me.

turtlemanfla88

I own my own Lawn and Pest control business. Anything inside their enclosures I will use my kid's rabbit fertilizer and use a lot of natural and organic products,but I had these bugs on my different species of cactus outside not near their enclosures got some bugs that started killing my prickly pear cactus. I tried everything then I used a low dosage of not organic insect control and they were fine and I waited more than the label said to wait before feeding again from those cactus.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Once the plant has taken up the fertilizer it is safe, however, I wouldn't allow the tortoise to eat anything with fertilizer on it.

turtlemanfla88

Also a good place to start is go to your local ext. office ran by Dept of AGRICULTURE at least that is how it is ran in FLA. Our even gives away seeds not just reg seeds ,but organic seeds. My kids and I grew micro greens last year animals went nuts for the sprouts. What you said will work I will try to help you and answer any questions you have.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Also a good place to start is go to your local ext. office ran by Dept of AGRICULTURE at least that is how it is ran in FLA. Our even gives away seeds not just reg seeds ,but organic seeds. My kids and I grew micro greens last year animals went nuts for the sprouts. What you said will work I will try to help you and answer any questions you have.
good to know